Get out your grill for these healthy grilled ham and cheese sandwiches with super sweet pineapple.
My brain thinks food 24/7. I get the biggest thrill out of dreaming up recipes – wherever I’m at – whatever I’m doing. Fortunately for me, I have a husband willing to go along with my crazy imagination, and willing to grill up these super tasty sandwiches.
(Mike was being camera shy, but that’s my husband grilling pineapple and ham.)
This week I wanted a grilled cheese sandwich, and the thought of crispy bread encompassing a cheesy, meaty filling wasn’t going away until it was satisfied in reality.
Of course, what’s the point of dreaming if you don’t dream big!
My sandwich had to be worth the calories, so I packed it with flavor – grilled pineapple, red onion and an easy Cajun sauce. And, of course, just enough cheese to call it a “grilled cheese sandwich.”
Healthy cooking tip . . .
It’s true that this sandwich is higher in calories and Weight Watchers Points than most of the meals I serve, but it’s also packed with nutrition. Anytime you can add healthy vegetables and fruit to a meal it’s a winning recipe. Notice that I’ve added chopped kale, red onion and fresh pineapple to this sandwich. Now I’ve boosted the nutrition – and the flavor. Can’t beat that!
- 4 ounces ham, sliced into 2 steaks
- 4 slices pineapple, fresh if possible
- 2 large red onion, slices
- 4 slices whole grain bread, thick slices
- 4 tablespoons low fat Colby cheese, shredded
- 1 cup kale, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- ½ tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1. Preheat a very clean grill to medium and coat with a thin layer of cooking oil.
- 2. Combine mayonnaise, honey, lime and Cajun seasoning in a small bowl.
- 3. Grill ham, red onion and pineapple slices for 3 - 4 minutes each side to heat through and create nice grill marks. Remove to a plate.
- 4. Spread mayonnaise on each piece of bread, sprinkle two pieces with cheese, onions and a layer of kale. Top with grilled ham and pineapple. Top each piece of bread with a second piece. Then spray one side with cooking spray and place that side down on the grill. Toast for a few minutes to brown. Spray the top of the sandwich with cooking spray and then flip and brown that side. Serve.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 487, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 13
Total Fat: 9.07g
Total Carbs: 82.11g
Dietary Fiber: 7.40g
The statements made here are strictly my opinion and are not meant to replace medical advice from your physician. Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.