Get out the grill to make these super easy chicken skewers to serve with this colorful asparagus and mushroom salad.
When it comes to grill time, there is nothing easier than grilling chicken skewers. All it takes is an inexpensive bag of wooden skewers, an awesome marinade or glaze, and chicken tenders.
These hoisin glazed chicken skewers win my best-loved glaze category, but the savory marinade with fresh thyme and balsamic we used on this week’s chicken and veggies comes in a close second.
It’s the fresh thyme that makes the marinade pop.
Unless I’m making a rub, or tossing dried herbs into the slow cooker, I rarely use them. It’s worth the extra pennies to buy a package of fragrant thyme or rosemary. They add a vibrance to recipes that would be less than stellar without them.
I don’t waste one tiny leaf of my fresh herbs. I’ll take the same herby marinade for my chicken skewers and toss it with shaved asparagus and sliced mushrooms.
Mushrooms and thyme are a classic combination. They both have a woodsy appeal.
Especially appealing about using chicken tenders as opposed to chicken breasts is their size. Tenders are the perfect length for skewering and cook up quickly.
If you aren’t in the mood to fire up the outdoor grill, I’ve used my stove top grill pan, or even roasted them in the oven.
This lean chicken and veggie packed meal couldn’t be more calorie friendly, and definitely has a permanent home in my recipe collection.
Grilled chicken skewers with shaved asparagus and mushrooms in a balsamic vinaigrette.
30 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 4 tablespoons white onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 pound chicken tenders, sliced into 8 long strips
- 6 cups asparagus , trimmed, tops removed to a bowl, then stems peeled with a vegetable peeler into strips
- 3 cups mushrooms, sliced
- Combine white onion, Dijon Mustard, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, olive oil, vegetable broth, thyme and honey in a blender an blend until smooth. Optionally shake in a jar. Divide vinaigrette in half.
- Pour one half over chicken and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While chicken is marinating, soak 8 wooden skewers in water.
- Combine asparagus and mushrooms with remaining vinaigrette.
- Preheat an indoor or outdoor grill and prepare it for grilling chicken.
- Remove chicken from the refrigerator and thread onto skewers.
- Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and stir fry vegetables for 10 - 15 minutes until vegetables are crisp tender - stirring often to keep from burning. If needed add small amounts of water or vegetable broth if the pan becomes too dry. Optionally, you can cook the vegetables on your grill in a grilling basket until desired doneness.
- While vegetables are cooking, grill chicken skewers for 3 - 4 minutes per side until chicken is no longer pink in the middle.
- Serve with vegetables.
Food energy: 269kcal
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 6
Saturated fatty acids: 1.69g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 5.82g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 1.36g
Total fat: 8.88g
Calories from fat: 79
Carbohydrate, by difference: 16.73g
Total dietary fiber: 4.99g
Total lipid (fat): 10.17g
Total sugars: 10.91g
If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free, so thank you!