When a craving for Asian food strikes, Mike and I head to Chan’s in Woodinville, Washington.
We love to sit in the bar, watch whatever sports game is on the television, and order a tableful of our favorite dishes. It’s a good thing this happens on rare occasions, or we’d go broke. There isn’t an item on the menu that we don’t drool over.
It’s not uncommon for us to arrive home with boxes of leftover food, but the deep fried prawns, barbecued pork, and broccoli in garlic oyster sauce never make the trip home. I’ll eat the entire plate of broccoli before Mike can spear one for his plate.
When I happened upon this recipe for Broccoli with Garlic Oyster Sauce on A Veggie Adventure, I knew I had to give it a try with grilled pork chops. Alanna’s version sounded like it might be close to our beloved Chan’s.
Broccoli in oyster sauce is all about that savory, garlicky sauce. Clearly it’s not the broccoli, or it would never make a restaurant menu. Most people don’t find naked broccoli appealing.
And since I’m all about the sauce, I doubled the recipe so I could drizzle a little garlicky goodness over our grilled pork.
When a dish meets your expectations, why reinvent the wheel?
Alanna’s oyster sauce was as close to Chan’s as I could have hoped for. It had that savory appeal that oyster sauce, and an abundance of garlic, gives to the dish.
Thanks Alanna for saving us a few dollars. Now we can have our favorite Asian broccoli dish anytime we please.
Happy, healthy cooking!
- 1 pound boneless pork chops, 4 chops
- 1 pound broccoli spears, trimmed
- 2 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- Combine the garlic, oyster sauce, chicken broth and sesame oil in a bowl.
- Pour half the sauce into a zip lock bag with the pork and marinade for an hour.
- Grill pork on an indoor stove top grill, or on an out door grill. Depending on thickness, chops will take 4 - 5 minutes per side. They should still be very faintly pink in the middle. Remove and cover with foil to keep warm. They will finish cooking under the foil.
- In a large covered microwavable bowl, add an inch of water and the broccoli. Microwave on high for 2 - 3 minutes until broccoli is still very crisp, but starting to get tender.
- Add to a large wok preheated with the coconut oil and sauté until crisp-tender. About 2 - 3 minutes. Add sauce and cook another 2 - 3 minutes. Don't overcook. Broccoli should still be crisp.
- Serve broccoli and sauce with pork chops.
Calories: 211kcal, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 5 Saturated fatty acids: 2.69g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 1.86g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.88g Total fat: 5.43g Calories from fat: 48 Cholesterol: 53mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 12.11g Total dietary fiber: 3.12g Protein: 29.35g