How to make super moist chicken burgers your family will love.
For those of us watching our weight, cooking up a juicy burger can definitely be a challenge. Keeping extra lean cuts of meat from becoming dry and chewy after you’ve cooked them is no easy task.
Slathering an abundance of condiments on your bun will never make a dry burger good again.
I say it’s not the choice of meat that’s the problem. Extra lean cuts of beef, pork and turkey make great burgers – including this ground chicken breast. It’s the ingredients we bind them with and the cooking time.
I’ve found the trick is packing extra moisture into the mix, but I don’t use the typical eggs and breadcrumbs. I find that dried breadcrumbs seem to absorb the moisture from the meat, making them even drier.
I add flavor, moistness and extra fiber to my ground chicken breast with mashed pinto beans and a splash of chicken broth for that savory appeal.
Fresh herbs don’t hurt either.
A quick cook in my favorite cast iron skillet, and our burgers were done. It was time to top our chicken burgers with spinach leaves, tomatoes, and my favorite brand of Dijon mustard – there was no need for anything else.
Happy, healthy cooking!
Serves 4 patties
5 minsPrep Time
20 minsCook Time
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 1 cup pinto beans, well mashed
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- Combine ingredients in a large bowl and form into 4 patties.
- Generously spray a nonstick skillet with olive oil cooking spray and cook for 4 - 5 minutes per side until patties are cooked through. Watch carefully - chicken breast patties over-cook very quickly. Take off the heat a minute or two before you think they're done, and allow carry over cooking time to finish the cooking.
- Serve on your favorite bun with your favorite condiments.
For burger only: Calories: 212 Weight Watchers PointsPlus 5 Total Fat: 5.63g Cholesterol: 72mg Sodium: 308mg Total Carbs: 9.50g Dietary Fiber: 2.84g Sugars: 0.15g Protein: 27.09g
If you’re looking for healthy and low calorie Weight Watchers recipes, check out my Recipe page. You’ll find hundreds of recipes that include nutrition information and Weight Watchers points.
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.