This is not your typical ham and Swiss cheese sandwich, this sandwich packs a healthy punch with mushrooms and tender kale.
Let’s face it – there are thousands of ham and cheese recipes in the recipe blogosphere, so what makes this one different?
Mushrooms and kale!
With the abundance of kale in my garden this year, I’m finding ways to squeeze it into almost anything I make. Lightly sautéed kale is perfect for a panini sandwich. In my opinion it’s better than spinach because it stands up to the heat without melting into a slimy, green puddle.
No Panini grill? No worries! Simply use a heavy skillet to press your sandwich down as you grill it in a frying pan.
- 4 slices sprouted wheat bread
- 2 slices low fat swiss cheese
- 4 ounces mushroom , sliced
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme, minced
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add mushrooms and cook 3 - 5 minutes until tender. Add kale and thyme and cook another 2 - 3 minutes to lightly wilt kale. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 2. Spread 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard over one slice of bread. Layer ham and Swiss cheese, then half the mushroom and kale mixture. This will pile on, but that's what you want.
- 3. Top sandwich with another slice of bread and lightly spray with olive oil cooking spray. Place the slide with cooking spray down on a panini grill, then lightly spray the other side of the bread with cooking spray.
- 4. Grill 4 - 5 minutes until cheese melts and bread is toasty brown.
- 5. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
What’s good for me in this dish?
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 3.51g
Total Carbs: 42.17g
Dietary Fiber: 6.05g
Weight Watchers Points 5
Nutrition details obtained from whfoods.org, nutritiondata.com, about.com, and abouthomecooking.com.