I can’t believe it’s another Happy Hour Friday, and I’m ready with this easy Weight Watcher friendly recipe!
Where did the week go! On Monday I had grand plans to clean up my to do list, but now it’s Friday and I’m lucky if I’ve checked off one box. Oh well, why should I be different than anyone else I know. Working for that paycheck takes up such a big chunk of the week, there isn’t much time left to get anything else accomplished.
Enough complaining! On to this week’s appetizer.
I have to admit, my husband wasn’t as enamored of this week’s appetizer as I was. I love polenta. It goes back to the early days of my weight loss journey with Weight Watchers. I’d buy the tubes of polenta, and serve them with spaghetti sauce and a little parmesan cheese. It was a meal low in points, and very tasty. Thus, the inspiration for this recipe.
Cannellini beans, mushrooms, and fresh basil top creamy polenta, sprinkled with some nutty parmesan cheese. Colorful and delicious if you ask me. Just don’t ask my husband what he thinks.
Happy, Happy Hour Friday!
- 1 package polenta, sliced into 12 slices
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1 cup mushroom , chopped
- 6 tablespoons parmesan cheese , shredded
- 1. Combine beans, spaghetti sauce, mushrooms, basil, oregano and thyme in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes to heat through and blend flavors.
- 2. Heat non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. Brown polenta on both sides, 5 minutes per side.
- 3. Preheat broiler.
- 4. Spray non-stick cookie sheet with cooking spray and mound bean mixture over polenta. Top with cheese, and broil until bubbly and lightly browned.
What’s good for me in this dish?
Beans are an excellent source of antioxidants, folic acid, potassium, dietary fiber and complex carbohydrates. Filling and a great source of protein. Folic acid is important for the formation of red blood cells. Potassium is important for our nervous system and promotes a healthy heart rhythm. Fiber is important for digestive health.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 0.94g
Total Carbs: 7.51g
Dietary Fiber: 1.36g
Weight Watchers Points 1
Nutrition details obtained from whfoods.org, nutritiondata.com, about.com, and abouthomecooking.com.