Pizza doesn’t have to be a diet disaster. This homemade pizza with mushrooms is just 170 calories per slice!
It’s Happy Hour Friday, and I’m playing with my new camera. Clearly, I need to read the manual, but even so, this homemade pizza is worth the few minutes it takes to make.
I’m an Apple technician for our local school district by day, and a food blogger by night. As a techie, I usually play with new toys first – then resort to a manual when I have no other option.
My picture of this low-calorie mushroom pizza recipe convinces me that it’s time to pick up the manual. I need to work on those close up pictures. Suggestions are welcome!
Anyway, I hope you enjoy this Friday’s homemade pizza with sauteed mushrooms, shallots, and fresh basil atop a store bought whole wheat pizza crust. At 170 calories a piece, you can’t go wrong. Now you can enjoy that second glass of wine!
Happy, Happy Hour Friday!
- 1 ea Culinary Circle Multi-grain Stone Baked Pizza crust, or any pre-baked whole grain pizza crust your grocery carries
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ¼ cup red wine
- 1 cup low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese , shredded
- 1 cup basil, leaves
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Preheat non-stick skillet with 1/2 tbs oil. Add shallots and cook for 4 -5 minutes until softened. Add mushrooms, garlic, vegetable broth and wine. Cook 5 - 8 minutes until cooked down.
- Top pizza crust with basil leaves, mushroom mixture, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes until cheese is bubbly and crust lightly browned.
What’s good for me in this dish?
Mushrooms are super high in selenium, vitamin B2, copper, Vitamin B3, tryptophan, potassium, phosphorus and zinc. Mushrooms contain powerful phytonutrients that contribute to overall health, as well as protecting against certain cancers such as breast cancer. Selenium contributes to the proper function of our antioxidant system. Zinc promotes immune function. There is a list a mile long of the benefits of mushrooms. They should be an addition to any healthy eating plan.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 7.27g
Total Carbs: 5.21g
Dietary Fiber: 1.86g
Weight Watchers Points 4
Nutrition details obtained from whfoods.org, nutritiondata.com, about.com, and abouthomecooking.com.