These calorie-friendly baked chicken breasts with colorful peppers and pineapple swim in a spicy sweet and sour sauce.
This cook loves to entertain family and friends, surprising, right? So when Mr. Mike suggested we have a golfing buddy and his wife over for dinner, do you think I turned him down?
I had a recipe for chicken breasts in mind that I was dying to try out on company.
Years gone by I would have prepped for days, desperate to impress my guests with an immaculate house and impeccable food.
I’ll bet you can guess how that turned out.
I was stressed to the max, and my guests felt more like prisoners in my home rather than friends. I was completely focused on their approval, so they couldn’t relax and neither could I!
Times have changed. These days you’ll find me creating a simple meal and asking friends and family to pitch in to set the table. If they want to clean up, that’s even better! My guests are relaxed, and so am I.
When it comes to quick meals, you’ll find I have more than a few recipes using chicken breasts. That’s because they cook up quickly, and I can serve a chicken dish in under an hour.
This sweet and sour sauce includes the juice from my canned pineapple and my go-to, low calorie chili garlic sauce. I adore chili garlic sauce. It contains virtually no calories, lasts forever in the frig, and I can kick up a sauce without chopping garlic and peppers.
A time saver for sure!
Don’t these chicken breasts look gooey good!
While I’m loving my relaxed entertaining style, the next time I’ll do a bit of sleuthing prior to cooking. Turns out our guests weren’t bell pepper fans.
Oh well, can’t please them all!
Shake It Up!
If, like Tracee, peppers aren’t your thing, I’ll bet this recipe for chicken breasts would work equally well with zucchini, or even carrots sliced on a lovely diagonal.
“If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free, so thank you!”
Serves 8 servings
- 48 ounces chicken breasts, 8 breasts
- 2 tablespoon grape seed oil, or olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large red bell peppers, seeded and chopped into larger pieces
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped into larger pieces
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon rosemary, minced, and divided
- 1 15 ounce can pineapple chunks, drained, reserving liquid
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Preheat a large nonstick oven proof skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Brown chicken breasts for 2 - 3 minutes per side and set aside on a plate covered with foil.
- Return the pan to heat and add remaining tablespoon of oil.
- Add onions, peppers, 1 teaspoon garlic and 1 tablespoon of rosemary. Cook vegetables for 3 - 5 minutes to soften, stirring frequently. Add pineapple, but not reserved liquid.
- In a small saucepan add pineapple juice, ketchup, soy sauce, remaining garlic and rosemary. Mix together then add cornstarch and water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat and stir until thickened.
- Place peppers and pineapple in the bottom of a rectangular baking dish, top with chicken breasts, then pour sauce over the top.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 15 - 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle.
Food energy: 262kcal
Saturated fatty acids: 1.38g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 1.88g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 3.13g
Total fat: 6.38g
Calories from fat: 57
Carbohydrate, by difference: 9.38g
Total dietary fiber: 1.48g
Total lipid (fat): 8.09g
Total sugars: 6.32g