When I was a kid, it was a treat to have breakfast for dinner.
My mom would make french toast, waffles, or scrambled eggs, and us kids would be in heaven. Mom worked full time in those days, so I’m sure it was her way of putting an easy dinner on the table.
Things haven’t changed for me. Life is busy, and I still think breakfast for dinner is a treat. Frittata recipes are a favorite, especially when they include healthy veggies and creamy Swiss cheese.
Happy, healthy cooking!
- 1 small leek, thinly sliced and cleaned
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1 cup mushroom , sliced
- ½ cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tsp thyme
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup swiss cheese low fat, shredded
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat non-stick skillet over medium heat with oil and saute leek for 5 minutes until tender.
- Add kale, mushrooms and red pepper. Saute 10 minutes over medium low heat until tender. Add vegetable broth as needed to keep from burning.
- Whisk eggs with thyme and add to skillet, and put in oven to bake for 15 minutes until egg is just set.
- Top with swiss cheese and bake another 2 minutes to melt cheese.
What’s good for me in this dish?
Eggs provide tryptophan, selenium, iodine, vitamins B2 and B12, and protein. Eating eggs promotes eye health. They can also contribute to the prevention of strokes and heart attacks. Free range, or cage free eggs are considered to be higher in quality nutrients such as all nine essential amino acids, and are less likely to contribute to high cholesterol levels.
Kale is very high in vitamins K, A, C, manganese and fiber. Vitamin A promotes vision and lung health. Vitamin C reduces the severity of inflammatory conditions such as asthma, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis. Kale’s sulfur-containing phytonutrients can help prevent some cancers.
Total Fat: 6.73g
Total Carbs: 10.60g
Dietary Fiber: 2.05g
Weight Watchers Points 4
If you’re looking for more healthy and low calorie Weight Watchers recipes, check out my Recipe page. You’ll find hundreds of recipes that include nutrition information and Weight Watchers points.
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.