If you saw this appetizer plate on a buffet table, would you think to yourself, “Now there’s a healthy appetizer!”
I’m guessing, probably not.
Most of us think a “healthy appetizer” means the crudite platter, the fruit platter, or maybe the platter of lean meats we can top our cucumber slices with. I have a different idea of what a plate of healthy bites might look like.
I see no need to feel deprived when everyone else is indulging, so I contribute my own portion controlled appetizer to the party, and no one knows the difference.
I fill wonton wrappers (there’s my portion control), with non-fat re-fried beans (loads of fiber and flavor), chunky tomato salsa (virtually no calories, and there’s my veggies), and low fat shredded cheese (got my dairy and cheesy goodness).
Mashed avocado (who can resist this heart healthy fruit) tops the works, along with a dollop of low fat sour cream, and fresh cilantro.
I can have a few of these cheesy Mexican bites, be completely happy, and still have room for the crudite platter.
Now this is my idea of a healthy appetizer!
Wonton cups filled with re-fried beans, salsa and cheese, then topped with avocado, sour cream and cilantro.
20 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 12 ea wonton wrappers, trim corners off to make rounds
- 12 tablespoons vegetarian refried beans
- 12 tablespoons chunky salsa
- 12 tablespoons low fat cheddar cheese
- 1 large avocado, cored and mashed
- 12 teaspoons low fat sour cream
- 6 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare wontons by trimming off the corners to turn them into rounds, then gently place into muffin tins.
- Fill eat wonton with 1 tablespoon refried beans, 1 tablespoon salsa and 1 tablespoon cheese.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until wonton is lightly browned and cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve with avocado, sour cream and cilantro.
Food energy: 76kcal
Saturated fatty acids: 0.96g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 1.46g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.35g
Total fat: 2.78g
Calories from fat: 24
Carbohydrate, by difference: 8.93g
Total dietary fiber: 1.86g
Total lipid (fat): 3.06g
Total sugars: 0.66g