This Greek inspired healthy appetizer with roasted sweet potatoes, chopped olives, tomatoes, and feta cheese will have your guests asking for more.
It’s 5 Ingredient Friday and I’m gearing up for Seahawk’s football Sunday with this healthy appetizer. I can’t recall a family member or friend who can resist roasted sweet potatoes, so turning them into bites I can put on the buffet table was an easy task.
Roasting sweet potatoes brings out their nutty sweetness and slicing them into rounds made them a replacement for crackers that my gluten-free friends can appreciate. All it takes is a hot oven, a spritz of olive oil, and a sprinkle of salt and herbs like dried oregano to add flavor while the potatoes roast in the oven.
Minced olives or a store purchased olive tapenade like Sofia’s (typically a mixture of olives, garlic, and herbs), chopped tomatoes, and tart feta cheese add even more flavor – a must for healthy appetizer recipes to be appealing.
The glass of red was Mr. Mike’s request and he was completely on target. A sip of red and bite of sweet potato, olive, and feta is completely delicious.
Thank you to Sofia’s Selection for sharing their olive tapenades. You can find their products at Whole Foods Markets in Michigan, or online. This was my first experience cooking with an olive tapenade, and I will definitely have a jar of this savory, briny treat in the pantry ready for the holidays.
Have a terrific weekend!
Serves 16 servings0
Greek Sweet Potato, Olive, Tomato, and Feta Appetizers
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 2 medium sweet potato , sliced into 16 each 1/4" slices
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons kalamata olives, finely chopped or Sofia's Low Sodium Olive Tapenade (adjust nutrition information if you use a tapenade)
- 2 medium roma tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons low fat feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and spray a nonstick skillet with olive oil cooking spray.
- Place sweet potatoes in a single layer on the cookie sheet. Spray the tops with olive oil cooking spray and sprinkle with oregano and salt. Roast potatoes for 15 - 20 minutes, the flip and roast another 10 minutes until tender and browned on both sides.
- Remove to a plate, then top with olives, tomatoes, and feta cheese.
Food energy: 19kcal Weight Watchers SmartPoints 1 Saturated fatty acids: 0.13g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 0.10g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.03g Total fat: 0.26g Calories from fat: 2 Cholesterol: -- Carbohydrate, by difference: 4.07g Total dietary fiber: 0.77g Protein: 0.52g Total lipid (fat): 0.29g Water: 28.10g Ash: 0.50g Total sugars: 1.12g Calcium: 13mg Iron: 0.24mg Magnesium: 6mg Phosphorus: 14mg Potassium: 93mg Sodium: 94mg