This healthy holiday appetizer of tortellini pasta skewered with tomatoes, mozzarella balls, and fresh basil is perfect for every holiday gathering.
It’s tough to come up with healthy holiday appetizers that please a crowd. I’ve watched people pass by a vegetable platter no matter how pretty it is, to head for the crockpot of sausages swimming in barbecue sauce instead. (Yes, I love those too.)
But I’m determined to create a healthier appetizer that everyone will pick up, and I think I’ve accomplished my goal.
This appetizer isn’t a new idea, and it’s not a super slender appetizer either. But the ingredients are wholesome, so by my standards, this is a much healthier choice than chips and onion dip.
My son’s favorite variety of pasta is tortellini. Back in the day before he left for college I would make Jason a tortellini soup with pancetta and loads of veggies of course. As I passed by the fresh pasta at the grocery store I recalled more than a few appetizers I’ve seen using that same pasta skewered with tomatoes and mozzarella.
Making an appetizer doesn’t get any easier than skewering ingredients on toothpicks. The most complicated part of this healthy holiday appetizer recipe was making a reduced balsamic dressing for guests to drizzle on top, and even that was accomplished in the microwave! (A little tip for you. When nuking balsamic vinegar, be sure to use a microwave-safe bowl and stir often if you don’t want the explosion I had all over my microwave.)
Shake It Up!
If you aren’t in the mood to reduce balsamic vinegar, you can toss the tortellini, tomatoes, and mozzarella with your favorite low-calorie Italian dressing (I opt for Newman’s Own brand. All profits go to charity and the ingredients are terrific.)
Enjoy the Labor Day weekend celebrations!
Tortellini Appetizers with Baby Tomatoes, Mozzarella, and Basil
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 4 ounces tortellini, fresh, cooked according to package directions
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, little balls, or cubed
- 12 ea tomatoes, baby
- 12 leaf basil
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 clove garlic, large, crushed
- Cook tortellini according to package directions, but stop before the noodles are too soft, or they won’t hold up to piercing on a toothpick. Toss with olive oil and allow to cool.
- Place balsamic vinegar, honey, and garlic in a microwave proof bowl and microwave on high for 8 - 10 minutes until reduced to 1/2 cup. Watch carefully and stir often. Place in the refrigerator to cool.
- Skewer 1 piece tortellini, mozzarella, basil, and tomato with a toothpick and lightly season with salt if desired.
- Serve with balsamic reduction.
Food energy: 122kcal
Weight Watchers Smart Points 5
Saturated fatty acids: 2.29g
Total fat: 4.04g
Calories from fat: 36
Carbohydrate, by difference: 14.75g
Total dietary fiber: 1.98g
Total sugars: 7.82g