Quinoa lesson for the day . . .
What is quinoa?
Technically it isn’t a grain. It’s the seed of a leafy plant and a relative of chard and spinach. Quinoa eaters think of it as a grain because it can replace most grains used in any dish. It’s the perfect replacement for rice.
Quinoa has a tender texture and mild taste. My recent discovery was red quinoa. I love the color in salads as opposed to the light tan color of the quinoa I’ve used in the past.
Whatever you do, don’t spend $5 on a box of the stuff! It’s much, much cheaper in your store’s bulk bins.
Most importantly, quinoa is a complete protein. This means it can replace meat as your protein for the meal. It’s a terrific protein option for vegetarians.
End of quinoa lesson. If you haven’t tried it yet, I hope I’ve convinced you that you’re really missing out.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup almonds , sliced and toasted
- ½ cup dried apricots, chopped
- ¼ cup chives, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1. Bring water to a boil and add quinoa. Cook for 10 - 15 minutes over medium low heat until water is evaporated and quinoa is tender.
- 2. Allow quinoa to cool, then combine with apricots, almonds and chives.
- 3. Combine olive oil, vinegar, mustard and sugar in a small bowl.
- 4. Combine with quinoa and chill for 30 minutes.
What’s good for me in this dish?
Apricots contain manganese, vitamin E, magnesium, tryptophan, copper, vitamin B2 and phosphorus. Apricots lower LDL-Cholesterol and so lower your risk of heart disease. They also protect agains against Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease. Dried apricots are equally as good as their fresh form when it comes to their nutritional value.
Quinoa is a nutrition powerhouse. A complete protein containing all 9 essential amino acids, it’s also high in manganese, magnesium, iron, tryptophan, copper and phosphorus. Quinoa provides significant benefits for heart health. It’s also useful for people who suffer from migraine headaches. High in fiber, it’s useful for those dieting as it’s filling, as well as the benefits of fiber for certain types of cancers.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 10.61g
Total Carbs: 36.90g
Dietary Fiber: 4.73g
Weight Watchers Points 6
Nutrition details obtained from whfoods.org, nutritiondata.com, about.com, and abouthomecooking.com.