In my experience, most men want beef. Beef burgers, big steaks, beef, beef, beef. Now I’m sure there are a lot of men out there that wouldn’t touch the stuff, but those men don’t live with me.
Wanting to please the man in the family, I bought some stew meat and mushrooms and set out to make a hearty beef soup.
Tender pieces of beef and mushrooms really satisfied those beef cravings. I was even able to sneak the kale in without comment from the hubby!
That’s enough beef for this blog post!
Happy, healthy cooking!
- ¾ pound beef stew meat, trimmed of fat and cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup merlot
- 1 can low sodium beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large bay leaf
- 4 cups kale, trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 package mushroom , sliced
- 1 can golden mushroom soup
- Heat large saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat with olive oil. Add onion and garlic and cook 5 minutes until softened.
- Add stew meat and brown.
- Add merlot, beef broth, water, Worcestershire, and bay leaves. Simmer for 40 minutes until meat is tender.
- Add kale and mushrooms. Simmer another 15 minutes until kale and mushrooms are tender.
- Add mushroom soup and simmer until 5 minutes to heat through.
What’s good for me in this dish?
Lean beef is high in tryptophan and protein. Chock full of vitamins B12, B6, B3 and B2, beef has cardiovascular benefits, as well as the ability to prevent colon cancer. Beef also contains iron, selenium and zinc.
Kale is very high in vitamins K, A, C, manganese and fiber. Vitamin A promotes vision and lung health. Vitamin C reduces the severity of inflammatory conditions such as asthma, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis. Kale’s sulfur-containing phytonutrients can help prevent some cancers.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 7.45g
Total Carbs: 16.05g
Dietary Fiber: 2.50g
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 4
If you’re looking for more healthy and low calorie Weight Watchers recipes, check out my Recipe page. You’ll find hundreds of recipes that include nutrition information and Weight Watchers points.
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.