I don’t know about you, but I plan on enjoying all the wonderful food my family shares over the coming holiday season, and I’m not going to feel guilty about it. Holidays are to be enjoyed.
Recipes like this wonderful soup from Cajun Chef Ryan make it easy to eat light the day before a holiday gathering. Meaty mushrooms really make for a hearty soup, especially when you add nutty barley and lots of veggies.
I’m not a chef, and I didn’t have dried mushrooms on hand, so this tasty soup recipe is modified from the original recipe. You can click on the link above if you’d like to see the original recipe and give it a try.
Thanks Cajun Chef Ryan! We really enjoyed your soup!
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup pearled barley
- 1 large onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 stalk celery, diced
- 1 ½ cups carrot , diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped
- 2 lbs crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 1. Add chicken stock to a large stockpot with Worcestershire Sauce and bring to a boil covered. Then add the barley and continue to boil for 20 minutes over medium heat covered.
- 2. Soak mushrooms with brandy while barley is cooking.
- 3. Add the onions, celery, carrots, garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and basil, bring back to a boil, then reduce the heat, and continue to simmer for 20 minutes over medium heat covered. Then add the sliced fresh mushrooms, stir well, and continue to simmer for 15 minutes covered until vegetables are tender.
- 4. Season to taste with salt and white pepper, then garnish with the chopped parsley.
What’s good for me in this dish?
Mushrooms are super high in selenium, vitamin B2, copper, Vitamin B3, tryptophan, potassium, phosphorus and zinc. They contain powerful phytonutrients that contribute to overall health, as well as protecting against certain cancers such as breast cancer. Selenium contributes to the proper function of our antioxidant system. Zinc promotes immune function. There is a list a mile long of the benefits of mushrooms. They should be an addition to any healthy eating plan.
Barley is very high in fiber and selenium. It also contains tryptophan, copper, manganese and phosphorus. Fiber will keep you regular, as well as lower cholesterol. It also provides cardiovascular benefits for postmenopausal women. Selenium is an important trace element for prostate health, as well was immune system protection and support for a healthy thyroid gland.
Total Fat: 0.31g
Total Carbs: 11.77g
Dietary Fiber: 2.52g
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 2