Do you ever roast veggies? In my opinion there isn’t a better way to get people who aren’t big vegetable fans to eat them. Roasting brings out their sweet flavors, then people who would normally pass them by, eat them like candy.
I had a pile of my farm fresh root vegetables ready to roast, along with some tender chicken. Together, they seemed like the perfect combination for a chicken stew recipe.
Happy, healthy cooking!
- 3 cups parsnips, cubed
- 3 cups rutabaga, cubed
- 3 cups turnip, cubed
- 3 cups carrot , cubed
- 2 large onion, chopped
- 3 cups red potatoes, cubed
- ? cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 large chicken breast, cubed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, minced
- 1 tsp herbes de provence
- ½ cup water
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Combine parsnip, rutabaga, carrots, turnips, onion, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper with olive oil. Spread out on two large cookie sheets. Bake for 40 - 60 minutes until veggies are tender and very lightly browned.
- Heat non-stick skillet over medium and spray with cooking spray. Saute chicken for 10 minutes until no longer pink.
- Add chicken broth, wine and Herbes de Provence. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Combine 1/2 cup water with cornstarch.
- Add roasted vegetables to chicken broth and chicken.
- Add cornstarch and simmer to thicken for 5 minutes.
What’s good for me in this dish?
Lean chicken breasts are a complete protein, with less saturated fat than beef. Chicken also has cancer protecting B vitamins, including Niacin and B6 for energy.
Carrots are very high in vitamin A which promote eye health. They also contain vitamins K and C. They are a terrific source of antioxidant compounds that protect against cardiovascular disease and some cancers.
Potatoes with skin contains vitamins C, B6, copper, potassium, manganese, tryptophan, and fiber. Potatoes contain phytonutrients that have antioxidant activity, as well as flavonoids to protect against cardiovascular disease, respiratory problems and some cancers. B6 is helpful for cardiovascular and brain health, as well as sports endurance
Total Fat: 5.15g
Total Carbs: 85.88g
Dietary Fiber: 17.92g
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 11