This slenderized spicy coconut curry soup will warm you up on a cold winter day.
It’s mid January, and snow has finally hit Seattle. Huge, fluffy drifts of snow.
And while there’s plenty of work waiting for me, I’m going to enjoy this gift of time and appreciate the beauty outside my window while I read a good book by the fire.
I wish that’s how I’d spent the day.
Instead, I set off to work at o’dark thirty in the morning so I could hitch a ride to work with my husband. I’m fortunate to have a husband who has no problem driving in the snow, and a Subaru that can handle a few slips and slides with ease.
I was even more fortunate to come home to this warming curry soup from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.
Mel tossed chicken in her soup, then served it over rice. I had to use the ingredients I had on hand, so turkey breast and quinoa was all I needed to set this lovely soup on the table.
Now we’re toasty warm and happy thanks to Mel’s curry soup recipe. It’s a good thing there’s leftovers. I’m pretty darn sure we’ll need them tomorrow!
Slender Coconut Curry Soup
20 minsPrep Time
25 minsCook Time
45 minsTotal Time
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 14 ounces turkey breast, one package of turkey breast strips
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, shredded
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 14 ounces unsweetened light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 small lime, zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked according to package directions
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat and add onions and carrots. Cook for for 3 - 5 minutes until softened.
- Add turkey breast and cook another 5 minutes until cooked through.
- Ass chicken broth, water, coconut milk, fish sauce, cayenne pepper, and curry powder. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 - 25 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add lime juice, zest, quinoa, chopped spinach and cilantro. Cook for another 5 - 6 minutes to wilt spinach and heat through.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 9
Total Fat: 7.62g
Total Carbs: 45.12g
Dietary Fiber: 6.12g
The statements made here are strictly my opinion and are not meant to replace medical advice from your physician. Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.