A super slender meal with herbed chicken breasts and zucchini noodles.
I’ve spent most of my life watching my weight.
Some weeks I watch it go up – some weeks I watch it go down. I work hard to keep that weight gain under five pounds, but the older I get, the tougher it is to stay in that happy place.
When the numbers on the scale climb higher than I’m comfortable with, I start serving super skinny meals.
The chicken breasts in this low calorie recipe aren’t anything special. It’s the sauce and summer squash that make this a satisfying meal.
Fresh squeezed orange juice, sweet orange zest, fresh rosemary and thyme, make a low calorie sauce for my chicken. Then zucchini and yellow squash ribbons turned this into fun meal under 300 calories. You can’t beat that!
What’s your favorite super skinny meal?
I’m always looking for healthy cooking inspiration, so be sure to link up your super skinny creations below. After all, eating lean shouldn’t mean bland and boring, right?
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, 2 large breasts cut in half lengthwise and lightly pounded to an even thickness
- 2 medium zucchini, peeled lengthwise
- 2 medium yellow squash, peeled lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Combine thyme, rosemary, garlic, orange zest, orange juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and Dijon in a bowl and mix well.
- Preheat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray, and add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil.
- Spread thyme mixture over chicken breasts.
- Place chicken in the pan and cook for 4 - 6 minutes per side, depending on how thick they are, they should no longer be pink in the middle. Remove them from the pan as soon as possible so they don't over cook. Place on a plate and cover with foil. They will continue to cook, so it's fine to remove from the pan just as soon as they are no longer pink.
- Add squashes to the pan along with chicken broth (or white wine if you prefer). Gently stir fry, scraping up the bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook for 3 - 5 minutes until squash is just tender, then add the butter and toss with squash.
- Add chicken back to the pan and dredge through the squash to heat through and pick up a little sauce, then serve.
Calories: 241kcal Weight Watchers PointsPlus 6 Saturated fatty acids: 3.34g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 5.36g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 1.29g Total fat: 9.99g Calories from fat: 89 Cholesterol: 80mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 7.96g Total dietary fiber: 2.21g Protein: 27.11g