Cream pies are the best when you fill them with sweet, colorful strawberries and bananas.
“I need a treat!”
Some people crave sweet treats. Some people crave salty treats. I’m the salt craver in this household, so it’s not often that I make something sweet unless I hear my husband grumbling. This is when I break down and hit my stash of baking supplies and see what I can come up with.
This pie recipe adapted from Recipe Secrets was just the ticket. I had a pile of bananas and strawberries sitting on the counter, and a ready made graham cracker crust tucked away in the pantry.
Needless to say, Mike was in sweet treat heaven when the pie was finally set and he could dig in.
As for me? I’ll stick with chips and salsa. Happy cooking!
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups skim milk
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 9" lite graham cracker crust, store purchased
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 cup blueberries
- fat free whipped cream (optional)
- 1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat combine sugar, flour and salt.
- 2. Stir in 1 cup of milk, mix until smooth. Bring to a boil stirring constantly until smooth and thickened. Remove from heat.
- 3. In a bowl combine eggs and the remaining cup of milk.
- 4. Slowly add egg mixture to the slightly cooled milk mixture and blend.
- 5. Return saucepan to the heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly, lower heat and simmer until mixture thickens a bit more.
- 6. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla.
- 7. While mixture is cooling, spread sliced bananas and strawberries to the bottom of the piecrust.
- 8. Pour mixture into the pie crust.
- 9. Cool completely and serve topped with fat free whipped topping.
What’s good for me in this dish?
Bananas are high in vitamins B6 and C. They also contain potassium and a signifant amount of fiber and manganese. The potassium and fiber in bananas promote heart health and good blood pressure.
Strawberries are off the charts in vitamin C, a powerful anti-oxidant. They also contain manganese and fiber. Strawberries protect against rheumatoid arthritis. Strawberries are a natural anti-inflammatory and cancer fighter, as well as supportive for good blood pressure.
Per serving: Calories 200, Protein 4.6g, Carbohydrates 42.5g, Fat 2.2g, Weight Watchers Points 4