I realize spring hasn’t sprung yet, but I’m ready to skip spring and head straight to summer. Colorful, refreshing salads have been calling my name, reminding me of sunny summer days puttering away in my garden.
When it comes to salad recipes, nothing beats grilled chicken topping a bed of colorful greens fresh from the garden. Too bad there’s no garden yet. I’ll have to settle for organic greens from Albertsons.
Rum, lime and Mexican seasoning is a go-to chicken marinade in my house. The rum imparts a lovely flavor to the chicken when it’s grilled to perfection. Just take care not to leave the chicken in the marinade too long, or it will start to cook your chicken.
A fruity mango salad dressing, creamy avocado, and black beans finish off this healthy salad. Even if it’s just barely spring, I can always eat like it’s summer.
Enjoy your weekend!
- ½ cup rum
- 1 medium lime, zested and juiced
- 1 ½ tablespoons Mexican Seasoning
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 medium mango, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, mashed
- 1 tablespoon Mexican Seasoning
- ½ cup low fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 8 cups romaine lettuce
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- 1 medium mango, cubed
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. Combine rum, lime zest and juice, 1 1/2 tablespoons Mexican seasoning, oregano, cayenne pepper and chicken breasts in a zip lock bag. Refrigerate for 60 minutes.
- 2. Grill chicken until cooked through and no longer pink, approximately 20 minutes. If you prefer to bake the chicken, preheat your oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Place chicken on the cookie sheet. Bake chicken breast for 20 - 25 minutes until no longer pink.
- 3. Combine 1 finely chopped mango, canola oil, 1 lime juiced, garlic, 1 tablespoon Mexican seasoning, yogurt and honey in a blender and blend until smooth.
- 4. Slice chicken and arrange the chicken, lettuce, avocado, red onion and black beans on a plate. Serve with dressing.
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 567, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 13
Total Fat: 18.03g
Total Carbs: 54.53g
Dietary Fiber: 13.42g
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.