It was my son’s birthday and his girlfriend hosted a barbecue for him at our house. There were a few leftover cooked beef patties. I don’t like to waste perfectly good food, so I started the recipe hunt. You know the recipe hunt, I’m sure. Look in your pantry and frig to see what’s available, then hunt the internet for a recipe that fits.
I found this stuffed bell pepper recipe on the Woman’s Day website. Often stuffed peppers are loaded with calories. White rice, cheese, etc. This recipe is light, savory and pleasing to the eye. I would make it again just as it is, but you know I have to improve on a good thing. That means I’ll use ground turkey or chicken breast and quinoa to lighten the calories and add some really great grains.
- 4 large bell peppers halved lengthwise through stem, seeded and remove membrane
- 1?2 cup orzo pasta
- 8 oz lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tsp each fennel seeds and oregano (I used fresh rosemary and oregano)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with garlic (I love Fireroasted diced tomatoes if you can find them)
- 1?2 cup diced part-skim mozzarella
- Garnish: chopped basil (optional)
- Heat broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil. Put peppers cut side down in pan; coat peppers with nonstick spray.
- Broil 12 minutes, turning once, until lightly charred and tender, but don't bake until mushy. Reduce oven temperature to 400°F.
- Meanwhile bring a medium pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add orzo and cook as package directs; drain.
- While pasta cooks, coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray; heat over medium heat. Add beef, onion, fennel seeds and oregano. Cook 6 minutes, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until beef is browned and onions are tender. Remove from heat.
- Add orzo, tomatoes with their juices, and mozzarella to skillet; toss to mix, then fill peppers. Bake 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Sprinkle with basil.
- Nutrition Facts
- Yield 4 servings
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 328
- Total Fat 11g
- Saturated Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 46mg
- Sodium 437mg
- Total Carbohydrates 36g
- Dietary Fiber 6g
- Protein 22g
Weight Watchers Points 7