Even my lovely Nikon camera can’t help me when life gets in the way of food blogging and I don’t have time to take eye-catching pictures.
When my husband had rotator cuff surgery a few weeks ago, it never occurred to me that the one-armed man wouldn’t be doing his usual chores. Guess who’s been picking up the slack?
You guessed it - me!
Not that I mind. He’s taken care of me during my times of need, so doing things like washing the cars and cleaning the garage don’t hurt me a bit.
However, after a long day at work, the extra chores have made me a tad forgetful. I completely forgot to take pictures of my soup before I served it to the family.
Anyway, don’t let a lack of pleasing pictures keep you from making this easy soup recipe.
This meal is a family favorite, dating back to my son’s shoulder surgery when he played football in high school. It’s a hearty soup filled with cheesy tortellini, pancetta, cubes of zucchini and carrots, then finished with fresh thyme and rosemary.
While my highly drugged husband enjoyed his meal and watched his favorite Nascar race, I folded his laundry. I can’t imagine why I forgot my finishing pictures, can you?
Happy, healthy cooking!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ cups celery, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 4 ounces pancetta, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon thyme, minced
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, minced
- 46 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 24 - 36 ounces water
- 2 medium zucchini, cubed into small pieces
- 12 ounces tortellini, dried
- In a large stock pot over medium-high heat add olive oil, celery, carrots, onion and pancetta. Cook for 5 - 6 minutes to soften.
- Add garlic, thyme, rosemary, chicken broth and 24 ounces water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 25 - 30 minutes until vegetables are almost tender. Add more water or broth as necessary to get the soup consistency you like.
- Add tortellini and zucchini and continue to simmer another 15 minutes until tortellini is just tender. Do not overcook, or tortellini tends to get mushy.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 7
Saturated fatty acids: 3.19g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 5.08g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.98g
Total fat: 9.25g
Calories from fat: 83
Carbohydrate, by difference: 36.03g
Total dietary fiber: 3.45g