Sweet and colorful baby bell peppers make a terrific appetizer when stuffed with Italian seasoning and quinoa.
Have you spotted packages of mini sweet peppers in the produce section of your grocery store yet? If not, you’re missing out! They make colorful appetizers when you stuff them with quinoa and kale.
As I wandered through Alberton’s produce aisles looking for something new and inspiring to make for dinner, a neatly packaged bag of baby bell peppers caught my eye.
Those perfectly shaped and brilliant red, yellow and orange mini peppers were just waiting for me to decide what I would stuff them with to turn them into a meat-free appetizer for my vegetarian friends.
It didn’t take me long to visualize my mini delights stuffed with a savory Italian spiced mixture of quinoa, kale and nutty Parmesan cheese.
And it didn’t take Mike and friends long to devour the entire plateful! What was supposed to be appetizers, turned into dinner for the night. Not a bad deal for the cook in the house.
Happy, healthy cooking!
- 10 small mini bell peppers, tops cut off and seeds scooped out
- ½ cup kale, finely chopped
- ¾ cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 pinch dried red pepper
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine kale, quinoa, oregano, Parmesan cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste in a bowl.
- Gently fill the peppers with quinoa mixture, packing in firmly and leaving a little empty space at the end of the pepper to allow the mixture to expand while baking.
- Spray with cooking spray, and bake for 25 - 30 minutes until peppers are just tender.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 5
Total Fat: 3.05g
Total Carbs: 34.64g
Dietary Fiber: 8.49g