Here in Snohomish, Washington, we have a terrific butcher who sells a variety of local chicken, pork and perfect cuts of beef.
A trip to Kelso’s is bliss for this home cook.
When I walk in the door, I’m greeted with a friendly smile from a family member who knows their stuff. Kelso’s is a hometown operation, and they take care of their customers.
For us calorie counters, this steak dinner appears to be higher in calories than we can afford.
Keep in mind, that if you choose a lean steak, a three to four ounce portion is just fine, and this steak recipe serves up a healthy portion of garlicky kale on the side.
If shaving calories for the day is a must, reduce the olive oil called for in this recipe by one tablespoon. If the pan becomes too dry as you cook the kale, add a little water.
But take my advice and don’t eliminate the sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Unless your family loves their greens, you’ll need that sprinkle of cheese to get rave reviews.
Happy, healthy cooking!
- 8 ounces lean grilling steak of choice (ask your butcher or look for grilling steak on the package)
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large green onion, sliced into 1" pieces
- 4 tablespoons fresh thyme, leaves
- 8 cups kale, large chopped
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Add green onions and garlic and cook for three minutes.
- Season steaks with salt and pepper.
- Add thyme and steaks to the pan and cook for 5 - 6 minutes per side, depending on how well done you like your steaks.
- Remove steaks and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add kale to the pan and cook until wilted - about 3 - 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add a little water or red wine to the pan if it gets too dry.
- Serve steaks and kale. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Calories: 533 Weight Watchers PointsPlus 14 Total Fat: 28.16g Cholesterol: 88mg Sodium: 353mg Total Carbs: 32.82g Dietary Fiber: 6.79g Sugars: 1.32g Protein: 37.37g
If you’re looking for more healthy and low calorie Weight Watchers recipes, check out my Recipe page. You’ll find hundreds of recipes that include nutrition information and Weight Watchers points.
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.