These cheesy quesadillas with black beans, mushrooms, and kale make a healthy meat-free meal.
To say I’m passionate about Mexican food is an understatement. I love the smokiness of cumin and chipotle peppers, spicy shredded meats, tender black beans, melted cheese, and creamy avocado when it’s all wrapped in a flour tortilla.
Unfortunately, all those delicious ingredients pack a lot of fat and calories, so I needed to conjure up a healthier quesadilla recipe.
I can’t think of a better way to skinny up a recipe than to swap out the meat and some of the cheese for colorful leaves of kale and meaty mushrooms.
This easy quesadilla recipe had all my favorite flavors, and I managed to shave off a few of the calories and fat, without sacrificing taste.
Happy, healthy cooking!
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- 1 cup mushroom , sliced
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- ¼ small avocado
- ¼ cup low fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 8 tablespoons low fat Mexican Cheese, shredded
- 4 small flour or corn tortillas
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. When the oil is hot add onions and cook for 5 minutes to soften. If necessary, add a few tablespoons broth or water to keep from burning.
- Add kale and mushrooms and cook another 3 - 4 minutes to wilt kale and tenderize the mushrooms.
- Add beans, one tablespoon lime juice, 1 tablespoon chili powder and cilantro and heat through for another 3 - 4 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In another small bowl combine mashed avocado, sour cream, lime zest, remaining lime juice, and ½ teaspoon chili powder. Mix to thoroughly combine.
- Top one tortilla with 2 tablespoons cheese and half the kale mixture. Spread it out evenly, then top with another 2 tablespoons cheese. Top with another tortilla.
- Heat a dry non-stick skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Gently place your kale tortillas in the skillet and cook for 3 - 4 minutes to lightly brown and melt some of the cheese.
- With a large spatula, gently flip the quesadilla over to brown the other side for another 3 - 4 minutes.
- Serve with avocado sour cream.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 11
Total Fat: 17.97g
Total Carbs: 47.19g
Dietary Fiber: 13.75g
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.