You can make a meat-free meal of this quinoa packed kale salad with apples and a refreshing apple-lime vinaigrette.
As much fun as creating my own recipes can be (when I’m successful that is), there comes a time when I’ve run out of ideas and need inspiration.
I’ve decided that my New Year’s Resolution will be to spend the month of January making the recipes I’ve collected from fellow food bloggers and magazines.
Doesn’t that sound like a fun and easy resolution? I’ll learn new cooking techniques, and break that food boredom we’ve all experienced now and then.
Once I set my mind to it, Kitchen Runway’s kale and quinoa salad recipe was the perfect place to start.
Nutrition is always on my mind, so kale and quinoa top my list of – start the new year right – healthy ingredients. The salad’s fresh crunch of apples, shredded carrots and kale gets even more delicious punch from her shredded apple and lime vinaigrette.
Don’t forget to add a few salty nuts to finish off the dish. It makes the difference between a terrific salad and a fantastic one.
- 10 ounces kale, coarsley chopped
- ½ cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups carrot , shredded
- ½ large apple, chopped
- ¼ cup almonds, sliced and toasted
- ½ cup apple, finely grated
- 1 small lime, zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Rinse quinoa and cook with 2/3 cup water on the stove according to package directions. Cool.
- Add kale and carrots to quinoa.
- Make dressing by combining shredded apple, lime zest and juice, salt, vinegar, sesame oil, oil and sugar in a jar and shaking vigorously.
- Chill salad and dressing for a minimum of 30 minutes. (Recipe creator suggests overnight.)
- Toss dressing with quinoa mixture, chopped apples and almonds.
Calories: 242 Weight Watchers PointsPlus 6 Total Fat: 13.10g Cholesterol: -- Sodium: 434mg Total Carbs: 27.79g Dietary Fiber: 4.47g Sugars: 9.43g Protein: 4.87g