This colorful kale salad with chunks of tender chicken breast, sweet pears, and crunchy pecans makes a super satisfying lunch or light dinner.
Kale salads are hugely popular these days. Not only because this leafy green is packed with all kinds of good-for-us stuff like fiber, potassium and vitamin C, but because it’s a nice change from the typical spinach or leafy green salad.
But there is a trick to turning what can be a tough and bitter vegetable into a tender and tasty green, massaging it to break down the fibers, a technique I learned a few years ago in a cooking class.
I love taking cooking classes. I always come away with something new to try, and this lesson was well worth the fee to take the class. Besides, it’s fun to be with fellow foodies for a few hours!
After my kale has a garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil massage, chunks of bosc pears and leftover chicken breasts (a nice combination of flavors in my opinion) jump into the bowl.
The finishing touch that fine tunes this healthy kale salad is a combination of lemon zest, pecans, and parmesan cheese. I can’t fathom a salad without cheese, with parm and blue cheese topping my list of must-haves.
Don’t forget to add fresh rosemary, it adds that special something that makes this a kale salad even kale avoiders will gobble up.
Kale Salad with Chicken, Pears and Pecans
20 minPrep Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 large lemon, zested
- 1/2 cup pecans, pieces, toasted
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese , shredded
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, finely minced
- 6 cups kale, stems removed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 large lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup green onion, sliced
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, cubed
- 2 medium pears, cubed
- Combine lemon zest, pecans and parmesan cheese in a small bowl and set aside.
- Massage kale and rosemary with olive oil and lemon juice for a few minutes in a bowl to soften the kale.
- Add green onion, chicken and pears to the kale and toss with lemon and pecan mixture.
Food energy: 454kcal
Saturated fatty acids: 5.82g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 15.33g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 5.17g
Total fat: 26.32g
Calories from fat: 236
Carbohydrate, by difference: 25.13g
Total dietary fiber: 6.84g
Total lipid (fat): 27.66g
Total sugars: 13.24g