You won’t miss the meat with this meat-free slow cooker spicy Cajun bean soup.
I couldn’t live without my slow cooker. I know that statement is a bit dramatic, but there is a grain of truth to it. I’ve had my slow cooker for 15 years and it’s a bit grungy on the outside, but I consider this testimony to its usefulness.
The fact that I can throw almost anything in the kitchen into the pot, set it to low and walk away for the day make’s life infinitely easier. Especially when the pantry is looking a bit bare. And if I’m not in a creative mood, I can find an abundance of slow cooker recipes with a quick Google search.
This week it was time for a simple bean soup. I soaked a bag of white beans the night before (a very simple task, by the way, and sodium free), tossed them into the bath with a few peppers, onions and some spicy Cajun seasoning. Then I set the works on low and headed off to the day job.
There’s nothing better than walking in the door and having dinner ready to go. The smell that wafts from the kitchen is mouthwatering and all you have to do is sit down and eat. Ha! Can you see what’s missing from my soup? It seems I forgot to add the cheese! Oh well, apparently it was good without it. Happy cooking!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large red bell (capsicum) peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded
- 16 ounces white beans, soaked overnight and rinsed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium jalepeno pepper, finely chopped
- 56 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 10 tablespoons low fat Mexican Cheese, shredded
- 10 tablespoons light sour cream
- Heat coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add peppers and onion. Cook for 10 minutes until tender. Dump into a slow cooker with the remaining ingredients, except for cheese and sour cream. Cook on high for 6 - 8 hours, dependent on how hot your slow cooker gets. Mine cooked for 8 hours.
- Add water if needed if the broth gets too thin. You want a thick soup consistency. When beans are cooked down, mash lightly with a potato masher and stir.
- Top with cheese and sour cream.
Servings: 10 – 1 cup servings Amount Per Serving Calories: 274, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 6 Total Fat: 6.65g Cholesterol: 16mg Sodium: 506mg Total Carbs: 34.87g Dietary Fiber: 8.44g Sugars: 5.45g Protein: 18.03g Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.