This egg quiche with kale and a panko walnut crust makes a protein packed and healthy meat-free meal.
I’m always looking for new ways to squeeze kale into a meal.
Kale is an inexpensive green that I can get at the grocery store year round, so why not take advantage of the health benefits of this leafy green, and the benefit to my grocery bill.
I find quiche recipes to be one of the most versatile meals I can put on the table. All I need is a few eggs, milk and cheese. Then I can add almost any ingredient I have in my frig.
A quiche can use up that leftover sausage from Sunday breakfast, or can easily be the perfect meat free dinner. Almost any vegetable under the sun can finish it off – kale, spinach, broccoli, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, asparagus . . .
You get the idea.
I lightened up today’s quiche by replacing a few of the eggs with egg whites, left out the meat since we have protein in the eggs anyway, and added a tart goat cheese for big flavor.
The best part of this easy quiche recipe is a panko and walnut crust. It adds a delicious nuttiness that works so well with the eggs and the kale!
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup walnut pieces
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- ¼ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 6 large egg
- 4 large egg white
- 1 cup low fat milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ? teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ? cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Heat a large non-stick skillet with olive oil. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes until softened. Add water or broth if the pan becomes dry. Add kale and stir fry another 3 minutes to wilt. Set pan aside.
- 3. Spray an 8 pie plate with cooking spray.
- 4. Very finely chop walnuts and toss with panko. Pat mixture into the bottom of the pie plate.
- 5. In a larger bowl combine eggs, milk, thyme, salt and pepper in a bowl and whip until well combined.
- 6. Spread kale on top of panko mixture. Pour egg mixture over the top and sprinkle with goat cheese. Bake for 25 minutes, or until egg is set in the middle.
Nutrition Per Serving:
Calories: 395, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 10
Total Fat: 22.64g
Total Carbs: 21.97g
Dietary Fiber: 3.44g
The statements made here are strictly my opinion and are not meant to replace medical advice from your physician. Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.