There is nothing more fun than collaborating with a cooking buddy. We can chat for hours about food, coming up with recipe ideas, or reviewing a dish we’d made the day before.
My friend, Debbie, served her family Gina’s Thai Coconut Shrimp Curry the other day and was so impressed by this easy shrimp curry recipe, that I had to give it a try.
Debbie was right on target. I added shredded carrot that needed to be used or lost to the compost bin, and I liked the color it adds to the dish.
Thanks Debbie! I can’t wait to see what you come up with next!
- 1 tsp coconut oil, or canola oil
- 4 scallions sliced
- 1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 6 oz light coconut milk
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- chopped peanuts and brown rice optional and not included in calorie count
- salt to taste
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil on medium-high.
- Add the scallion whites and red curry paste and sauté one minute.
- Add shrimp and garlic, season with salt and cook about 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and fish sauce. Simmer about 2-3 minutes, until shrimp is cooked through.
- Add scallion greens and cilantro, and serve over rice.
What’s good for me in this dish?
Shrimp is low in fat, and higher in cholesterol; however, studies show that it can raise HDL and triglyceride levels. It has B12 for hearth health, omega-3 fatty acids for anti-inflammatory effects, and antioxidants selnium, copper and zinc.
Brown rice is high in manganese, selenium, magnesium and tryptophan. You need manganese for healthy nerves and blood sugar regulation. Selenium assists our immune systems and supports the prostate gland.
Amount per serving for shrimp: Calories: 146.1, Fat: 6.1g, Protein: 19 g, Carb: 2.6 g, Fiber: 0.4 g, Weight Watchers Points 3
Rice per 1/4 cup serving: Calories 140, Calories from Fat 1.5g, Dietary Fiber 2.0g, Weight Watchers Points 3
Nutrition details obtained from whfoods.org, nutritiondata.com, about.com, and abouthomecooking.com.