Who says eating light means skipping dessert?
You won’t hear that statement coming from my lips! If I tried to pass that rule in my house, there would be a mutiny and I’d be eating by myself every night.
That doesn’t mean that desserts need to be decadent and calorie laden to taste fantastic. This cake recipe takes advantage of the season’s freshest strawberries, and with just a few changes in the ingredients I’ve lightened up the calories.
I topped this simple upside down cake with Greek yogurt and a drizzle of local honey. Easy – sweet – and packed with healthy ingredients.
I’m happy and so is my family. Above is my husband’s plate – notice it’s picked clean – yogurt and all.
Healthy Cooking Tip . . .
Low fat plain or vanilla flavored yogurts make a wonderful substitute for ice cream when you’re topping fruit type desserts. Don’t opt for fat free yogurt. It tends to be runny and lacks flavor. Look for brands low in sugar, and avoid high fructose corn syrup. Often times manufacturers replace fat with added sugar. It’s not necessary, and takes away from the wonderful flavor of yogurt.
Strawberry Upside Down Cake
2 tablespoons canola oil
½ cup brown sugar
4 cups strawberries, sliced
1 ⅓ cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 egg whites
1 small lemon juice
1 small lemon zest
⅔ cup almond milk
1. Spray a 9 inch round baking dish with cooking spray. Add 2 tablespoons of canola oil, brown sugar and berries. Mix thoroughly.
2. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
3.In another smaller bowl combine lemon juice, lemon zest, eggs, 2 tablespoons canola oil, and almond milk.
4. Mix dry and wet ingredients together until smooth.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
6. Spread batter over berries and tap the dish lightly to even out batter and berries.
7. Bake for 30 – 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Serve with ice cream, or Greek yogurt and honey.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 183, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 5
Total Fat: 7.30g
Total Carbs: 27.73g
Dietary Fiber: 2.67g
The statements made here are strictly my opinion and are not meant to replace medical advice from your physician. Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.