This slender seafood dish with shrimp and scallops is super-healthy with kale and lemon, and super-tasty thanks to creamy goat cheese.
Yep! I do love my greens! Close to two years of nutrition schooling has truly changed my view on those leafy green vegetables. Before I started this educational adventure, I was not a greens person unless they were tossed in a salad with a delicious dressing (low calorie of course). Now here I am sautéing them with just about any ingredient I can find in the frig.
Why? Because leafy greens are delicious – this is the plain and simple truth. Set aside the fact that they are packed with phytonutrients and antioxidants (I’ve learned a few things this past year – see benefits below), they add lovely color to any meal. I guarantee if you give them a try with this simple shrimp and kale recipe, you won’t be disappointed.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, or any vegetable oil
- ½ cup shallot or white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups scallops, small
- 1 cup shrimp, medium peeled and deveined
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- 4 tablespoons goat cheese, crumbled
- ½ small lemon, squeezed
- one pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large non-stick pan. Add shallots and cook for 5 minutes to soften. Add garlic, scallops and shrimp. Cook for 3 - 5 minutes until seafood is still a bit opaque. Add kale and cook another minute to wilt kale and finish off seafood.
- 2. Season with salt and pepper and lemon juice. Toss with goat cheese.
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 241, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 6
Total Fat: 12.86g
Total Carbs: 19.16g
Dietary Fiber: 3.62g
Kale is very high in vitamins K, A, C, manganese and fiber. Vitamin A promotes vision and lung health. Vitamin C reduces the severity of inflammatory conditions such as asthma, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis. Kale’s sulfur-containing phytonutrients can help prevent some cancers.
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.