Leftover turkey gets a lift in this salad recipe with curry, sweet dried cranberries and crunchy pecans.
They say you are fortunate if you can count the number of true friends you have on one hand. I’m one of those fortunate people. I can count Phyllis as one of those friends. The word lovely comes to mind when I think of Phyllis – she is lovely inside and out.
It was Phyllis who suggested we have lunch at a local tea house where we had a curry chicken salad that I’ve never been able to forget, or replicate. Believe me, I’ve tried. The salad consists of tender chicken, a creamy curry dressing, and has just the right crunch thanks to a bit of celery and a few salty cashews.
While this adaptation of Simply Recipe’s Curry Turkey Salad doesn’t compare, it’s pretty darn good. I’ve lightened it up a bit with a low fat yogurt and mayonnaise, and added pecans just for the heck of it. If I’d has some of those salty cashews, I would have used those, but the pecans were a nice substitute. This isn’t a low calorie salad, so we made a meal of it.
Thank you my lovely friend, I’m grateful for your friendship. I can’t wait for our next trip to the tea house. Happy cooking!
- 2 cups turkey breast, chopped
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, filet cut into portion sizes
- 1 ribs celery, chopped
- ½ tablespoon curry powder
- ¼ cup low fat plain yogurt
- ¼ cup low fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ⅓ cup pecans, chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1. Combine curry, yogurt, mayonnaise, honey, ginger, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- 2. In a large bowl add remaining ingredients and toss with dressing. Chill for 20 minutes to combine flavors.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 33.50g
Total Carbs: 52.13g
Dietary Fiber: 8.08g