They say you are fortunate if you can count the number of true friends you have on one hand. I’m one of those fortunate people. I can count Phyllis as one of those friends. The word lovely comes to mind when I think of Phyllis – she is lovely inside and out.
It was Phyllis who suggested we have lunch at a local tea house where we had a curry chicken salad that I’ve never been able to forget, or replicate. Believe me, I’ve tried. The salad consists of tender chicken, a creamy curry dressing, and has just the right crunch thanks to a bit of celery and a few salty cashews.
While this adaptation of Simply Recipe’s Curry Turkey Salad doesn’t compare, it’s pretty darn good. I’ve lightened it up a bit with a low fat yogurt and mayonnaise, and added pecans just for the heck of it. If I’d has some of those salty cashews, I would have used those, but the pecans were a nice substitute. This isn’t a low calorie salad, so we made a meal of it.
Thank you my lovely friend, I’m grateful for your friendship. I can’t wait for our next trip to the tea house. Happy cooking!
- 2 cups turkey breast, chopped
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, filet cut into portion sizes
- 1 ribs celery, chopped
- ½ tablespoon curry powder
- ¼ cup low fat plain yogurt
- ¼ cup low fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ⅓ cup pecans, chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1. Combine curry, yogurt, mayonnaise, honey, ginger, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- 2. In a large bowl add remaining ingredients and toss with dressing. Chill for 20 minutes to combine flavors.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 33.50g
Total Carbs: 52.13g
Dietary Fiber: 8.08g