Life doesn’t get any better than watching my nephew toddling around my house, banging toys in my kitchen. And I know how to make Blake happy – just feed him an oatmeal cookie and you have his complete attention.
That is until the cookie is gone and he’s off on another toddler adventure.
Of course, I’m not going to feed my nephew any old cookie, it has to have the healthiest ingredients possible. I don’t want Blake’s mom and dad revoking my babysitting privileges due to Baby Bouncing Off the Wall Syndrome, thanks to too many treats at Auntie’s house.
Blake’s cookies are filled with lots of oatmeal, raisins and apples. But the secret ingredient is pureed butternut squash. Squash is sweet, full of good for baby vitamins and antioxidants, and great for reducing the need for extra fat and sugar.
Blake’s visiting this weekend. I better get my rest now, I’d forgotten how busy little people are!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar, I prefer Sugar in the Raw
- 1 large egg, cage free
- 1 large egg white, cage free
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup butternut squash - steamed and pureed, or you can use organic store purchased pureed squash in the baby food section
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 ½ cups apples, organic, peeled and diced
- 1.Preheat the oven to 350 and spray a non-stick cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- 2.Mix dry ingredients including sugar in a large bowl
- 3.Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the remaining ingredients EXCEPT raisins and apples.
- 4.Mix the wet and dry ingredients together until well blended. Fold in raisins and apples.
- 5.Drop by large tablespoonfuls onto the cookie sheet 2" apart. Bake 8 - 10 minutes until cookies are nicely browned and cooked through.
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 125, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 3
Total Fat: 2.33g
Total Carbs: 24.42g
Dietary Fiber: 1.58g
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.