It’s all a matter of taste, isn’t it?
What I think is better – you may think is way off the mark. I’m not the biggest fan of the typical mussels or clams you might see in a Cioppino recipe, so they aren’t going into my pot. I’ll split the difference with you and toss in some scallops – how’s that for a compromise?
According to About.com, one version of the origin of Cioppino says that after a day’s fishing the fisherman would throw the catch of the day into a large pot, waving to other fisherman to chip in, thus the name “Cioppino.” I think my modification fits the spirit of this flavorful fish stew. It really doesn’t matter what white fish, or shellfish you throw into your Cioppino, I believe the stock is the key. Take your time and simmer, simmer, simmer. The results will be a flavorful fish soup with incredible depth. Don’t forget to add a crusty whole wheat roll for broth dipping!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (15-oz each)
- 1 cups clam juice or fish stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups white wine, I used Reisling
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoons dried basil, no dried basil in the house, so I used tarragon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound tilapia cut into big chunks
- 24 large prawns, peeled and de-veined
- 1 pound small scallops
- 1/2 bunch Italian parsley, chopped
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large dutch oven. Cooke for 10 minutes until tender Add the remaining ingredients except the seafood and fresh parsley. Simmer on low, uncovered, for an hour and a half. Add water as needed to thin sauce. You want to slow simmer the flavors together.
- Add the seafood, and simmer covered another five minutes. The fish will cook quickly so watch this process to keep your fish from falling apart or becoming rubbery.
- Serve with parsley.
This recipes was modified from about.com.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 435, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 10
- Total Fat: 17.56g
- Cholesterol: 106mg
- Sodium: 1247mg
- Total Carbs: 23.98g
- Dietary Fiber: 2.61g
- Sugars: 7.88g
- Protein: 29.82g
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.