Slenderize your ground beef tacos by serving them with a spicy red cabbage salad.
Mike and I frequent a restaurant in Snohomish, Washington that offers the best homemade tortillas in town. When you walk in the door they hand you a warm and tender piece of heaven. I can’t resist them, and that’s a problem. Any healthy eating resolutions I made before I walked in the door are lost. The burritos piled high with melted cheese and shredded beef call my name. I seem to pass over the lighter fare.
But guess what? I can make a healthier version at home! Tortilla Land sent me their flour tortillas and I was impressed. These tortillas aren’t the pre-cooked versions you buy at the grocery store. When you heat them on the stove in a non-stick skillet without added fat (had to put that in) they puff up just like my beloved tortillas!
Better yet, the ingredients are simple – flour, water, canola oil, salt and sugar. I like that!
If I had a wish, it would be that the flour wasn’t refined, and there would be a little less sodium. I made up for the missing fiber with a spicy, crunchy, red cabbage salad that I piled on top of my ground beef.
Tortilla Land makes a corn tortilla with added fiber and less sodium that is on my grocery list. After tasting a freshly cooked tortilla, it’s hard to go back to the flat, chewier versions I used to set on my table.
I’m working on keeping the calories in check these days, so my tortilla doesn’t have cheese. I can hear you! Tortillas without cheese? My husband would agree with you – his had cheese, but I have to say I didn’t miss it in mine.
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Tacos with Beef and Spicy Red Cabbage Salad
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- ½ small jalapeno pepper, finely minced
- 1 cup tomatillos, diced
- 2 cups tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 4 ounces canned mild green chiles, can
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups red cabbage, finely chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely minced
- 1 small lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ tablespoon Mexican seasoning
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 pound extra lean beef
- 1 tablespoon Mexican Seasoning
- 8 medium Tortilla Land Flour or Corn Tortillas, or tortillas of your choice
- 16 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- 1. Combine onion, jalapeno, tomatillo, tomatoes, chiles, garlic, cabbage, cilantro, lime juice, honey, 1/2 tbs Mexican seasoning, cumin, and red pepper in a bowl. Season to taste should it need more heat for you.
- 2. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add beef and 1 tablespoon Mexican seasoning and cook for 5 - 6 minutes until the meat is cooked through.
- 3. Heat tortillas in a dry non-stick skillet over medium-high until lightly browned on both sides. Top with beef, salad and sour cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 334, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 4
Total Fat: 8.30g
Total Carbs: 11.04g
Dietary Fiber: 6.87g
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.