This slender quinoa pasta recipe is filled with sweet Italian sausage, chickpeas, kale, and colorful tomatoes.
Life can’t get any better than spending time with your children, and thanks to this happy Mother’s Day holiday, I spent time with mine.
Most young parents have heard this before, but I’ll say it one more time – those little people eventually grow up. The days of diapers, homework and school events that seem like they will never end – end.
Like me, you’ll be looking forward to visits from your children, because in your mind’s eye they will always be those little people learning to walk, struggling with math problems, and knocking people down on the football field (I’m proud to say both my son and daughter could take out the opposition).
This Mother’s Day, I thanked God for the days that Jason and Lauren entered my life, then I treated them to this delicious pasta recipe I found at Roti & Rice. The pasta dish was perfect for Lauren’s eat less meat lifestyle, and the addition of Italian turkey sausage worked for Jason’s eat more meat lifestyle.
The entire family was pleased, including Mom. I hope your Mother’s Day was just as blessed. Happy cooking!
In my estimation, Quinoa had much the same texture as traditional pasta and the flavor was just as appealing. The package wasn’t expensive – almost equal to a good dried pasta. Nutritionally, it’s a good choice for folks on gluten-free diets, but it isn’t necessarily lower in calories and fat, or higher in protein and fiber. Be sure to read the label and check the ingredients. Fit Sugar has a good nutritional breakdown of the various pastas available for purchase.
Recipe adapted from Roti & Rice
- 1 pound quinoa fettuccine, cooked according to package directions (or fettuccini of your choice)
- ½ pound Italian seasoned ground turkey sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 bunch kale, remove stem and finely sliced
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained, or 1 cup dried beans cooked
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup basil, chopped
- 8 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and add 1/8 cup olive oil, then kale. Toss for 1 - 2 minutes, add tomatoes, garlic and red pepper. Saute for 3 - 5 minutes until kale lightly wilts and tomatoes are lightly cooked. Add chickpeas, lemon juice and remaining olive oil. Heat through. Then add basil and quinoa pasta. Toss and top with Parmesan cheese.
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 379, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 16
Total Fat: 22.35g
Total Carbs: 77.96g
Dietary Fiber: 8.94g
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.