You won’t miss the meat when you sink your teeth into these quinoa and black bean meatballs served with hoisin ginger sauce and a crunchy cabbage and broccoli stir-fry.
I must admit that meat-free meals don’t please my hubby as much as they do me, but every so often I have to make a meal that makes me happy. Back in my Weight Watchers days, black bean burgers were a staple. They were low calorie and high fiber – that meant low in points and completely satisfying.
Meat-free meatballs or burgers can be challenging to make. They tend to fall apart if you don’t have a dense enough mixture. Mashed black beans and oats do a good job of holding these quinoa and black bean meatballs together.
You can see these hold together well, but if you find your meatball mixture isn’t cooperating, then be sure to add extra hoisin sauce or a tablespoon or two of water to the bowl until you can mold a meatball that doesn’t fall apart.
A bag of broccoli slaw and red cabbage make a quick stir fry side for our meat-free meatballs, but it’s the spicy ginger, garlic and hoisin sauce that convinced Mr. Mike he could eat meat-free for a night.
Isn’t this a colorful meat-free Monday, or any day, meal? Speaking of Monday, it’s off to work I go! Have a terrific week friends!
FYI – Asian sauces and canned beans can be high in sodium, so always purchase low-sodium products.
Quinoa and Black Bean "Meatballs" with Hoisin Ginger Sauce and Broccoli Cabbage Slaw
20 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 1 cup black beans, cook or canned that is rinsed and drained
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 10 ounces broccoli slaw
- 4 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely minced
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mash black beans and egg whites with the back of a large spoon until well blended. Add quinoa, carrot, garlic, ginger, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce and oats with bean mixture until well blended.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat with 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop meatball mixture into balls, packing together tightly. Dipping your hands in clean water helps keep the mixture from sticking to your hands.
- Working quickly, add meatballs to the pan. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes on one side, gently turning to the second side when lightly browned.
- Remove pan from heat and place in the oven to cook for an additional 30 minutes. Turn half way through to make sure meatballs don’t burn on the bottom.
- While meatballs cook, heat 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil in a large non-stick pan over heat.
- Add broccoli slaw and cabbage.
Stir fryfor 5 - 6 minutes until crisp-tender. Add 1/4water if necessaryto keep the pan moist.
- Combine 1 cup hoisin sauce 2 tablespoons
low sodiumsoy sauce, 1 teaspoon ginger, finely minced and, 1 clove garlic, finely minced in a small bowl.
- Toss half the sauce with the sautéed cabbage and broccoli, and reserve remaining sauce to drizzle over meatballs.
- Sprinkle green onion over meatballs and cabbage mixture.
Food energy: 493kcal
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 12
Saturated fatty acids: 3.85g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 1.71g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 2.83g
Total fat: 8.40g
Calories from fat: 75
Carbohydrate, by difference: 85.79g
Total dietary fiber: 13.97g
Total lipid (fat): 9.44g
Total sugars: 25.45g