I have an endless infatuation with Mediterranean salad recipes.
For Dummies has a terrific primer of flavors from the Mediterranean coast ranging from the warm spices of Morocco (cinnamon, ginger, cumin and paprika), to the flavors of Greece (basil, dill, fennel, feta cheese, garlic, and oregano).
Personally, I opt for the more tart and briny flavors of Greece. The combination of lemon, garlic, olive oil and fresh thyme in this Mediterranean salad always works for me.
Typically I’ll use fresh basil or oregano, but thyme was readily available, so I tossed it into a sauté pan with chopped onion and cooked the asparagus until it was crisp-tender, and the onion soft and sweet.
Red quinoa, marinated artichoke hearts, Kalamata olives, avocado and feta cheese finish off this salad with definite Mediterranean flare.
Here’s a healthy cooking tip for you – to make my cooking life easier, when I buy quinoa it goes straight into a saucepan, then into 2 cup portions in the freezer. That way I always have a nutty whole grain (in this case a seed) on hand to toss into salads, or use as a side for stir fries and sautés.
That’s my salad recipe for today! No need to add anything else to your plate. With all those veggies and quinoa, this salad is a meal all by itself!
Mediterranean Asparagus and Quinoa Salad with Artichokes, Avocado and Feta Cheese
20 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups asparagus , chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked and cooled
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, halved
- 1/2 cup marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1 medium avocado, chopped
- 1/2 cup low fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 small lemon, juiced
- Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, asparagus, garlic and thyme. Cook for 5 - 8 minutes until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Allow vegetables to cool and gently toss with remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Food energy: 304kcal
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 7
Saturated fatty acids: 4.08g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 6.76g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 1.18g
Total fat: 12.03g
Calories from fat: 108
Carbohydrate, by difference: 36.06g
Total dietary fiber: 10.58g
Total lipid (fat): 14.80g
Total sugars: 4.91g