Whole grain toast gets a nutrition boost from this creamy Mediterranean inspired avocado mash with chickpeas, and feta cheese.
You’ll find toasted bread with mashed avocado recipes all over Pinterest, but I’ve been hanging out waiting to see if I wanted to dive into the avocado toast lovers pool. I’m not sure what’s been holding me back. I love avocado, and while it packs a lot of calories and fat, it’s certainly a healthy fat, and so satisfying.
When the nagging thought that I’ve been missing out got the better of me I jumped into the pool with this 5 Ingredient Friday recipe for a Mediterranean version of this popular toast.
The one nutrient I decided was missing from most avocado toast recipes was protein, so I added chickpeas and mashed them with my newly acquired immersion blender (this one replaced my favorite blender that finally died after 10 years).
After the chickpeas were blended with diced tomatoes I added the avocado everyone wants to eat these days.
The key to this recipe for avocado toast is to keep those meaty chunks of avocado intact. Don’t smash them into oblivion, otherwise, you’ll have a watery mess on your toast.
With one bite I was hooked!
I loved this whole grain, super easy, protein and fiber packed meal. For this cook who avoids eggs (gotta love those food sensitivities), this is most definitely a satisfying breakfast, lunch, or in tonight’s case, dinner.
Mediterranean Avocado and Chickpea Toast with Feta Cheese 5 Smart Points 154 Calories
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- 8 slices Low Calorie Whole Grain Bread
- 1 cup chickpeas or garbanzo beans, cooked
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 can Italian diced tomatoes with garlic, oregano and basil, drain the liquid into a container for later use
- 1 large avocado, look a large ripe fruit, seed and scoop out the fruit into a small bowl
- 8 tablespoons low-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- Toast the bread to a golden brown. Toast shouldn’t be soft, but crispy brown.
- Using an immersion blender or a fork mash the beans and water to a smooth texture.
- Add the tomatoes and mash or blend for a few seconds to break down tomato chunks.
- Add the avocado and gently mash. You want smaller chunks to remain.
- Top each piece of toast with 1/4 cup avocado mixture and 1 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese.
Food energy: 154kcal
Weight Watchers Smart Points 5
Saturated fatty acids: 2.38g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 2.77g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 1.21g
Total fat: 6.36g
Calories from fat: 57
Carbohydrate, by difference: 18.94g
Total dietary fiber: 6.59g
Total lipid (fat): 7.04g
Total sugars: 3.83g
[prosperInsert q=”cuisinart smart stick” gtm=”merchant” v=”grid” id=”Cuisinart_Smart_Stick_Hand_Blender,_Grey~” ft=”fetchProducts” imgt=”original” fb=”Cuisinart_Smart_Stick_Hand_Blender,_Greyquery_cuisinart smart stick_~”][/prosperInsert]
FYI – if you’re interested in purchasing an immersion blender, I’m using the Cuisinart Smart Stick you see above. I’m a participant in the Prosperant affiliates program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products. I only recommend products I use in my own kitchen.