I have been dying to use Orecchiette pasta in a recipe for years!
Okay, dying might be an exaggeration, but I’ve been infatuated with this fun little pasta for a very long time, and couldn’t find it in the pasta sections of local grocery stores.
We aren’t big pasta eaters in this house, but every so often the urge for noodles and sauce takes hold. On those occasions, I’ll break out the quinoa or whole wheat noodles to make a quick veggie packed pasta dish with a light sauce of some sort.
But in the back of my mind, these mini bowl shaped pastas haunted me. I could picture them holding a savory sauce far better than spaghetti or lasagne could, and when I finally found them I wasn’t disappointed.
Those little wells in the middle of my Orecchiette did a good job of corralling chopped bits of chicken, tomatoes and kale. And the sauce from the tomatoes, garlic and oregano had a place to take hold.
A chiffonade of basil (YouTube has a quick tutorial on how to chiffonade basil), and a crumble of feta cheese finished off my pasta dish with a Mediterranean feel.
I bet you’re wondering where I finally found my long awaited Orecchiette pasta. I discovered it at Sur la Table when I attended a cooking class with my buddy, Sandi.
Since it’s only Mr. Mike and I in the house, I’m doling my treasure out in little bits. This is a pasta I don’t mind taking up space in my pantry.
Orecchiette pasta and fresh basil are the star of this quick to make pasta dish. Leftover chicken adds a boost of protein, with capers, lemon and feta cheese give it a Mediterranean flare.
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 cup Orecchiette Pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 15 ounces petite diced canned tomatoes
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, minced
- 2 cups kale, chopped and packed into the cup
- 2 cups chicken breast , cooked and chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons low fat feta cheese, crumbled
- Cook Orecchiette according to package directions.
- While Orecchiette cooks, heat a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add oil and onions. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes to soften.
- Add tomatoes with juice, vegetable broth, garlic, oregano, kale and chicken. Simmer over medium high for 4 - 5 minutes until broth is reduced and and kale is softened.
- Drain Orecchiette and add to tomato mixture. Cook another 2 - 3 minutes to heat through.
- Top with basil and feta cheese.
Food energy: 488kcal
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 12
Saturated fatty acids: 3.67g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 5.05g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 2.21g
Total fat: 10.93g
Calories from fat: 98
Carbohydrate, by difference: 43.27g
Total dietary fiber: 7.80g
Total lipid (fat): 12.48g
Total sugars: 3.35g
Sodium: 1061mg (this seems high, opt for low sodium canned tomatoes)
PS – Stay tuned! Later in the week I’ll be serving up another tasty Orecchiette pasta dish!