Never in a million years would I have thought my meat and potatoes husband would devour this vegetarian salad.
I must admit, I neglected to tell him what the patties were made of, but he ate two servings, and raved about this salad later in the evening.
This recipe from Real Simple is truly simple to make, and a very refreshing and frugal meal.
Give it a try, you’ll love it, but be sure to spend the extra pennies for Greek yogurt. It makes the dressing creamy and rich.
Next time I’ll add feta cheese and add some kick!
Mediterranean Salad with Chickpea Patties
* 1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
* 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
* 1 clove garlic, chopped
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
* Kosher salt and black pepper
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (I used Panko bread crumbs for extra crunch)
* 1 tablespoon olive oil (original recipe called for 2 tablespoons, but one works just fine)
* 1/2 cup low-fat yogurt (preferably Greek)
* 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
* 8 cups mixed greens
* 1 cup grape tomatoes
* 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- In a food processor, pulse the chickpeas, parsley, garlic, cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper just until coarsely chopped and the mixture comes together when gently squeezed. Form into eight 1/2-inch-thick patties and coat with the flour, tapping off excess.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the patties, turning carefully, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- In a small bowl, whisk the yogurt, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Divide the greens, tomatoes, onion, and chickpea patties among plates. Drizzle with the dressing and serve with the pita chips, if using.
Servings Per Recipe 4
* Calories 190
* Calories From Fat 39%
* Protein 8g
* Carbohydrate 22g
* Sugar 6g
* Fiber 5g
* Fat 8g
* Sat Fat 1g
* Calcium 91mg
* Iron 2mg
* Sodium 475mg
* Cholesterol 1mg
Old Weight Watchers Points 4
Last updated byat .