This 5 Ingredient Friday Recipe uses Mediterranean flavors to jazz up sweet potato fries.
I’ve been roasting sweet potato fries for more than a few years now, and I have to say I turned this 5 Ingredient Friday recipe into a Mediterranean-inspired meal.
I’ve said this before, but I’m amazed that my only experience with sweet potatoes prior to my weight loss years was the dreaded marshmallow casserole served at holiday meals.
Even in those days, I wasn’t a fan!
Today sweet potatoes are glorified for their healthy nutrition profile, and now that I know how to roast them to a sweet, golden goodness, those days of gooey casseroles are long behind me.
When picking a potato I’ll switch between sweet potatoes and yams depending on which is more cost friendly. Yams are lower on the glycemic index, so they’ll often end up in my cart. Sweet potatoes have a glycemic index score of 70 while yams weigh in at 54 for a typical potato.
If you aren’t familiar with the glycemic index, it’s measurement of carbohydrate-containing foods and their impact on our blood sugar. World’s Healthiest Foods has a terrific explanation if you’re interested.
Either way, sweet potatoes or yams, either one is completely delicious roasted with oregano and served with capers, olives, and feta cheese!
You can see how I turned these sweet and salty fries into meal – it was impossible to stop at a just a few!
Mediterranean Sweet Potato Fries with Capers, Olives and Feta Cheese
20 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 4 large sweet potatoes or yams, sliced into steak fry sized pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup low fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1/4 cup olives, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a non-stick cookie sheet generously with cooking spray.
- Place yams on the cookie sheet and spray with cooking spray, sprinkle with oregano and salt. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, then gently flip yams over. Roast another 15 - 20 minutes until tender.
- Combine feta cheese, capers and olives in a bowl.
- Layer yams on a plate sprinkling cheese mixture between layers before serving.
Food energy: 184kcal
Weight WatchersPoints Plus 5
Saturated fatty acids: 2.22g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 1.00g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.23g
Total fat: 3.44g
Calories from fat: 30
Carbohydrate, by difference: 35.67g
Total dietary fiber: 5.76g
Total lipid (fat): 3.71g
Total sugars: 1.27g
FYI – this was my first post on how to make crunchy versus soggy sweet potato fries. Give it a try and let me know what you think!