Are you tired of zucchini yet?
I’m getting there myself, but since my garden is overflowing with this healthy summer squash, I’m looking for all kinds of ways to put it to good use, and this meat free wrap recipe was a nice change from last week’s salad.
Summer is the best time to add meat free meals to my menu. There is such an abundance of produce available that I can always find something to pull together to make a meal. And if my creation is piled into the middle of a whole grain wrap and sprinkled with cheese of any kind, then dinner is served without a complaint from my diners.
Even when the wrap includes yet more zucchini!
Wrap recipes are hugely popular these days – especially lettuce wraps.
I’m a fan because they reduce the calories in my meals, and add an irresistible freshness and crunch. The wrap I served above uses chard instead of lettuce. I actually preferred this colorful green as it was a bit sturdier and held my shrimp filling and peanut sauce together well.
But on this particular day, a whole wheat tortilla wrap was an excellent choice for my garden rich veggies and red quinoa. We even added heirloom cherry tomatoes to the mix, though these mini beauties didn’t come from my vegetable patch.
All it took to finish off our zucchini and quinoa wrap was a dollop of Greek yogurt laced with garlic, lemon and feta cheese. Can’t forget the cheese, right?
Enjoy and have a terrific weekend everyone!
Serves 6 wraps
Shake It Up! Any favorite veggie would work in this dish. Smaller eggplant, asparagus, or even chopped spinach or kale (double the quantity required for zucchini when replacing with spinach or kale.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large Walla Walla onions, chopped
- 2 cups button mushrooms, stemmed and halved
- 2 cups zucchini, cubed into smaller pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup green olives, chopped
- ¼ small lemon juice, squeezed
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked according to package directions
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ small lemon juice, squeezed
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 8 tablespoons low fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 6 medium whole wheat tortillas
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium high heat and add olive oil.
- Add onions and sauté for 2 - 3 minutes to soften. Add mushrooms, zucchini, thyme, sage, rosemary, and garlic. Saute for another 10 minutes to cook vegetables until crisp-tender.
- Add tomatoes, green olives and squeeze of lemon juice. Stir together, then add cooked quinoa.
- Combine Greek yogurt, remaining squeeze of lemon and garlic in another bowl.
- Warm flour tortillas in the microwave for a few seconds, or in a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Fill with quinoa mixture, a dollop of Greek yogurt and feta cheese.
Food energy: 256kcal Saturated fatty acids: 3.48g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 6.02g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 1.24g Total fat: 10.74g Calories from fat: 96 Cholesterol: 12mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 30.30g Total dietary fiber: 3.52g Protein: 8.58g Total lipid (fat): 11.90g Water: 174.65g Ash: 2.76g Total sugars: 5.71g Calcium: 169mg Iron: 2.37mg Magnesium: 46mg Phosphorus: 205mg Potassium: 445mg Sodium: 435mg
Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey , the world’s leading questionnaire tool.
“If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free, so thank you!”