When Mike turned 57 a few weekends ago, we headed over to my son’s house to watch a football game and celebrate.
Since nothing makes the football fans in my house happier than a big pot of chili, I set about hunting down a new twist on this football favorite.
When I ran across this Butternut Squash, Chicken, and White Bean Chili recipe from CDKitchen I knew just what was going into my stock pot.
I was intrigued by the idea of adding squash to the mix.
Even though the pot was packed with meaty chunks of chicken, tender white beans, sweet potatoes and enough Mexican spices to give it a kick, I think white chicken chili must be a girl thing, because the guys weren’t impressed.
In fact, I’m not sure my daughter-in-law was either, so maybe it was just me – I liked it.
I decided to change the name of this chili recipe to a Mexican chicken stew. I think it would have gone over better with my football men if they weren’t expecting a pot full of chili beans and beef.
When it comes to chili, I’ve come to the conclusion that guys want lots of beef!
Happy, healthy cooking!
- 8 cups white beans, cooked and drained
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 32 ounces water
- 16 ounces salsa
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ medium lime juice
- ½ medium lime zest
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- Combine all ingredients except sweet potatoes and cilantro in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, then add sweet potatoes.
- Simmer for another hour until sweet potatoes are cooked, and the stew has cooked down to a thickened consistency. Add cilantro and serve.
Based on 12 servings, but stews tend to grow. You may end up with more like 16 servings. Calories: 325kcal Weight Watchers PointsPlus 7 Saturated fatty acids: 1.39g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 2.30g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 1.41g Total fat: 5.11g Calories from fat: 45 Cholesterol: 17mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 51.34g Total dietary fiber: 14.16g Protein: 18.51g
If you’re looking for more healthy and low calorie Weight Watchers recipes, check out my Recipe page. You’ll find hundreds of recipes that include nutrition information and Weight Watchers points.
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.