Jicama gives this Mexican chicken salad with black beans and corn a special crunch.
Mr. Mike and I often celebrate Cinco de Mayo with friends and coworkers, but after all these years I realized I had no idea where the holiday originated. After a bit of research I discovered that May 5th is a celebration of the Mexican Army’s victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla after the French occupation of Mexico.
These days it’s often a celebration of Mexican culture and heritage, and for this family the enjoyment of Mexican-inspired food.
We’re big fans of Mexican food in any form, and with our favorite restaurant up the street within walking distance you’ll often find us sipping margaritas and munching on chips and salsa while we wait for a plate of carne asada (thinly marinaded and sliced beef with tortillas).
While I love Mexican food, the calories can tough on my waistline, so I make my own Mexican-inspired recipes, with chicken salads topping the list. Chicken breast is super easy to season with Mexican spices and toss in the oven to roast or grill.
Tossed with fresh kernels of corn, super crunchy Jicama (also known as Mexican yam), black beans and greens, our chicken salad is off to a good start. But it needs something more . . .
There isn’t a salad worth eating if it doesn’t contain crumbles of cheese and a dressing of some sort, so this chicken salad is topped with crumbles of queso fresco and a creamy dressing of salsa, sour cream and tart lime juice.
A healthy Mexican chicken salad sounds like a great way to start our Cinco de Mayo celebration, and since we’re saving calories there’s definitely room for a margarita or two!
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Mexican Chicken Salad with Black Beans, Corn, Jicama and Sour Cream Lime Dressing
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 2 Mexican Seasoning
- 1/2 cup salsa, mild
- 1/2 cup low fat sour cream
- 1/2 small lime juice and zest
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, chopped
- 8 cups romaine lettuce
- 2 cups jicama, cubed
- 15 ounces black beans, cooked
- 10 ounces grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup corn , frozen or fresh kernels
- 1 cup Mexican Cheese, crumbled (used Queso Fresco)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a non-stick cookie sheet with cooking spray and place chicken on top. Sprinkle with oregano and Mexican seasoning and bake for 20 - 25 minutes until the chicken is no longer pink at the thickest part. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Using a blender combine salsa, sour cream, jalapeño, lime juice and zest. Blend until smooth and chill while making the salad.
- Slice or cube cooked chicken.
- In a large bowl add lettuce, black beans, jicama, tomatoes, corn, chicken and cheese and gently toss together.
- Serve with dressing.
Food energy: 350kcal
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 10
Saturated fatty acids: 5.93g
Total fat: 9.74g
Carbohydrate, by difference: 33.70g
Total dietary fiber: 10.48g
Total sugars: 4.49g