I’m using up extra food again, so an egg recipe is in order.
It seems that with the kids grown and gone, I always have extra food to use up, or lose to the compost bin. Tonight it was green pepper, and tons of red potatoes. The potatoes will keep, true, but eventually I need to use them up too.
This recipe from Lifestyle at Yahoo seemed like a good fit for the ingredients I had in my pantry. I have to admit, my husband wasn’t as impressed as I was, but I liked it for a light mid-week dinner.
Instead of scallions, I sauted 1 clove garlic, 1/2 cup chopped onion, and my green pepper chopped to 1/2 cup. I added this mixture to the potato and salsa when I layered the ingredients in the pie pan. Then I added fresh oregano and some cilantro into the egg mixture to add that fresh flavor.
Topped with light sour cream and a slice of avocado, this is nutrition meal with some kick thanks to the salsa.
- 1 1/2 cups diced red or white potatoes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup chunky tomato salsa
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup reduced-fat Mexican-style shredded cheese blend
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- Heat oven to 350 and spray glass pie pan with cooking spray.
- Microwave potatoes in just enough water to cover on high for 3 to 5 minutes until just tender.
- Spread potatoes over bottom of pie plate and season with salt. Spoon salsa over potatoes.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, flour, oregano and pepper until smooth. Stir in cheese and scallions.
- Pour mixture over potatoes and salsa. With a fork, gently stir mixture so cheese and potatoes are evenly distributed. Bake frittata for 30 to 35 minutes or until it is set at the center and golden on top. Slice into wedges to serve.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition information per serving (values are rounded to the nearest whole number): 160 calories, 61 calories from fat, 7 g fat (3 g saturated, 0 g trans fats), 133 mg cholesterol, 13 g carbohydrate, 12 g protein, 2 g fibre, 509 mg sodium.
Weight Watchers Points 3