What it comes to fall recipes, there is nothing better than a hearty chili.
I consider chili the perfect diet food, and when you add lentils, it gets even better.
If you add extra lean proteins like ground chicken breast, ground turkey breast, or in this case extra lean ground beef, beans (in this case, lentils), and a variety of vegetables, you have a satisfying meal in a bowl with plenty of leftovers for lunch the next week.
We livened up our lentil chili with Tabanero hot sauce.
The folks at Tabanero sent me their hot sauce, and we’re working on our second bottle now. I’m a fan of the flavor, it’s not too hot for my husband who doesn’t like too much kick, but it’s spicy enough for this heat loving gal.
Better yet, it doesn’t have that vinegar taste that some hot sauces impart to foods.
So there you are – a healthy meal on the table in less than 30 minutes. Can’t beat that!
Have a terrific week everyone!
Serves 8 ea 1-1/2 cup servings.
Shake It Up! No ground beef in the house? Swap ground chicken or ground turkey. No lentils either? Try canned black or pinto beans. Just be sure to rinse the beans well to remove the sodium.
- 32 ounces beef broth
- 3 cups onion, chopped
- 2 cups red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 2 can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium lime zest and juice
- 3 tablespoons Tabanero Hot Sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 8 tablespoons low fat sour cream
- In a large stock pot add 1/4 beef broth and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Add onions, peppers and garlic. Cook for 5 - 7 minutes until softened.
- Add ground beef and cook another 5 - 10 minutes until beef is cooked through. Drain the beef mixture in a colander to remove excess fat. I even give a quick rinse with hot water.
- Add remaining ingredients to the pot, except sour cream and cilantro.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce to medium low and simmer for 30 minutes until lentils are tender.
- Add cilantro at the end of cooking time.
- Serve with Tabanero hot sauce and sour cream.
Calories: 392kcal Weight Watchers PointsPlus 9 Saturated fatty acids: 2.96g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 2.41g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 1.37g Total fat: 6.75g Calories from fat: 60 Cholesterol: 42mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 52.81g Total dietary fiber: 19.17g Protein: 29.44g
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content. Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.