Beef broth enhances the meaty flavor of crimini mushrooms, and fresh thyme adds a woodsy flavor to this mushroom soup.
I’m not a big fan of mushrooms bit since Mr. Mike loves them, and particularly in the form of soup, I decided to make him a treat – creamy crimini mushroom soup.
Creamy soups don’t have to be fattening if you just replace a few ingredients with lighter alternatives. Replace butter with heart-healthy olive oil. Replace the heavy cream with fat-free half and half – you get the idea.
- 6 cups crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ small onion, diced
- 2 tsp thyme, minced
- 2 cans beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons wondra, (very fine flour for sauces, or use 2 tbs flour mixed with 2 tbs water, but Wondra is best)
- ½ cup fat free half and half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1. Heat saucepan over medium heat.
- 2. Add olive oil and saute onion and garlic for 3 minutes.
- 3. Add mushrooms and saute another 3 minutes.
- 4. Add beef broth, water and thyme.
- 5. Gently boil until mushrooms are very tender.
- 6. Reduce heat to medium low.
- 7. Remove a cups worth of sliced mushrooms.
- 8. Add Wondra to pan and stir constantly until mixture comes to a boil and thickens to soup consistency.
- 9. Using and immersion blender, or just a blender, puree soup until it's still slightly chunky.
- 10. Turn off heat and add half and half, and reserved sliced mushrooms.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 5.82g
Total Carbs: 17.30g
Dietary Fiber: 2.58g
Weight Watcher’s Points 3