Impress your guest with this calorie friendly cheesy mushroom and bacon appetizer.
This mushroom appetizer recipe is one of my skinnier appetizer creations, and my guests demolished the plate, so I’m betting you wouldn’t have one toast left your plate either.
Like most everyone I know, I pack a ton of chores into my weekends. This particular Saturday we had company coming for dinner. I had my dinner menu ready but forgot an appetizer.
I had little time to spare, so as I was envisioning ingredients to come up with a quick appetizer (yes, I see food in my mind), I knew I had whipped cream cheese, fresh rosemary, and bacon bits waiting in the frig.
Sounds like the start of an appetizer to me, but I needed something with substance, a vegetable to tie my refrigerator ingredients together.
A package of mushrooms came to the rescue, but what to spread my creamy mushroom mixture on?
It was time to send Mr. Mike on a shopping run for sourdough bread – the perfect vehicle with which to toast my mushrooms and cheese to a bubbly, golden brown.
It’s amazing what you can find in your frig and pantry to pull together a come-back-for-more appetizer. All I needed was a package of mushrooms, half used carton of cream cheese, and crumbles of bacon. You can’t beat that!
Shake It Up!
Mushrooms not your thing? You could swap them out for shredded chicken, or even cooked salad shrimp. How about chopped Roma tomatoes, and chopped basil instead of rosemary? I can picture a variety of irresistible combinations, can’t you?
I start at Sur La Table for cooking demonstrations, then off I go to the Weston for two days of food and fun. You can bet I’ll come back with inspiration galore to share!
Serves 15 toasts
Cheesy Mushrooms and Bacon on Toast Appetizers
20 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 10 large mushrooms, chopped into large pieces
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon rosemary, minced
- 6 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons cooked bacon, crumbled (I used store purchased cooked bacon.)
- 15 slices sour dough bread, bruschetta size loaf
- 10 leaves parsley
- Heat a small non-stick skillet over medium heat and add olive oil.
- Add onions, mushrooms, garlic and rosemary. Cook for 5 - 6 minutes until very soft.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Add cream cheese, parmesan cheese and bacon.
- Preheat broiler and lightly brown one side of
- Flip bread and top the soft side of each piece of bread with mushroom mixture.
- Return to the broiler and lightly brown.
- Serve with parsley leaves.
Food energy: 110kcal
Saturated fatty acids: 2.35g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 2.28g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.58g
Total fat: 5.22g
Calories from fat: 46
Carbohydrate, by difference: 10.36g
Total dietary fiber: 2.10g
Total lipid (fat): 5.90g
Total sugars: 2.32g
“If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free, so thank you!”